Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Christmas Miracle 2017

mitchnick

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, nj2va said:

GFS shows you why our area hates NS Miller Bs.  

Yea we're not in a good spot for them. But every year people here lament that fact. I don't get it. We're simply too far south to typically get those. Fact of life. If you live in the plains you can't get noreasters but I doubt they bring that up as often as we do the miller b thing.  It's a well established fact so why do we get worked up every time?

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea we're not in a good spot for them. But every year people here lament that fact. I don't get it. We're simply too far south to typically get those. Fact of life. If you live in the plains you can't get noreasters but I doubt they bring that up as often as we do the miller b thing.  It's a well established fact so why do we get worked up every time?

For sure.  But are you new here? Lol

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I doubt people in the plains are teased with noreasters very often...

We are teased by Miller B's constantly and we usually miss them by a very small margin.

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We are teased by Miller B's constantly and we usually miss them by a very small margin.

I see your point but I guess I simply go with climo so when I see that setup I don't expect much. Then I'm not disappointed. But it seems even when one works out, like Jan 2005 and we get 3-6" which is stellar for a pure northern stream miller b, people moaned mostly because NYC to Boston got 10-20". You can't win. I also don't think its typically as close as we think. I grew up just outside of philly in NJ and they typically screwed us over too.  More often they end up being NYC north. Yes a few notable ones were close and sharp cutoffs where Philly got significant snow and we didn't like dec 2000 and Boxing Day but more often they don't do that much better.  Philly is a bit south for most and we're literally on the southern most edge of where it's even possible to get significant influence from them. It's a once in a long while type thing. They are mostly New England storms.  So write them off and be pleasantly surprised when one hits instead of constantly frustrated by them. 

11 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah thats the difference. And we do catch the SW side sometimes. I have no stats to back it up but I would guess in our subforum NE MD and DE have done better overall with getting in on some Miller B action.

Man, looking at some of the short-range models on TT, looking like N MD could really sneak into a surprise.

All of the short-range models suggest a squall going through at the end, wouldn't shock me if it dumps up there for a little on Christmas Day. Not to mention the fact that most of these models suggest it will be all snow up there. 

Hmmmmmm....

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Man, looking at some of the short-range models on TT, looking like N MD could really sneak into a surprise.

All of the short-range models suggest a squall going through at the end, wouldn't shock me if it dumps up there for a little on Christmas Day. Not to mention the fact that most of these models suggest it will be all snow up there. 

Hmmmmmm....

Funny I was just looking at them and thinking the exact same thing. :-)

4 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Hmmmmmm....

That's a gravity wave.  Wouldn't surprise me places like Allentown and Albany cash in with a fast 1" - 2"

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

That's a gravity wave.  Wouldn't surprise me places like Allentown and Albany cash in with a fast 1" - 2"

Going up to Scranton tomorrow morning for the holiday. Looks like 2-3” there, should be interesting. Hoping when I come back to NoVA Thursday, we are locked for our next snow......

7 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Euro sure is windy up here tomorrow ..gusts to 50 and temps only near 30 ...nasty to the max man. 985 mb low over east Maine and a 1032 high to our sw...nice gradient.  If only we had a region wide 2-4" to go with it...Christmas day ground blizzards would be running rampant..lol

I hope that it looks like the frozen tundra out there tomorrow morning. Enjoy it. Merry Christmas!

Archived