• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Post Christmas Bomb

Damage In Tolland

IMHO he is one of the better New England broadcast mets. He does let the weenie in him get loose from time to time, though (who doesn't?)

I do enjoy the tech part because he describes the models well while showing the models... sort of like having the radio show on with the models being flipped by the mets for you...

Earlier you mentioned wound up storms ticking west... is this something you read about, just remembered (or dreamed about :arrowhead: ), or that is explained in some other way?

That was good. I also do agree that he does a great job of explaining what your looking at, and he really seems to break it down in layman's terms.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to remember something about the tendency for wound up coastals tucking in tighter than model forecasts. Don't know if it's an axiom or old wives tale. the next 2 model cycles will be the most important runs of our lives.

just when i was going to go to bed you say this :lol:

I salute you Paul. :thumbsup: That is a great attitude. Wish more where like that. Now when are you going back to School? Damn boy sign up for a scholarship or something! Severe discuss' is second to none!

Sorry for the OT

The past few days I've been reading up on some stuff about models from theweatherprediction.com (EXCELLENT site) as well. As far as school goes I'm going to really work on getting what I owe paid off this winter so I can start next fall, this is a must.

As far as the NAM goes it's certainly much different but too me there doesn't seem to really be much of a difference than the 12z run...granted there are differences but nothing too the extreme of 0z vs. 18z.

I seem to remember something about the tendency for wound up coastals tucking in tighter than model forecasts. Don't know if it's an axiom or old wives tale. the next 2 model cycles will be the most important runs of our lives.

Lol. I belive they do tuck in--the challenge here as many have stated,is that it bombs and stalls too far south. That's keeping the heavier qpf below a sw-ne line which has been shifting se the last few runs. At least as far as the EC goes. It's shift has primarily been south.

So, if a EC-esque version were to come to fruition, hopefully the bombing/stall will take place south of Long Island. At least as far as western areas and those further north are concerned.

IDK...maybe it's just me but this really doesn't seem all that bad. Looks like by 72 HR it's really starting to try and dig there in the SE and it looks much better with the ridge in the west...not as "flat" looking as 18z. Also moving the 50/50 low north and east a bit which is good, especially if we are to see faster timing.

This run is not bad at all. You have a closed H5 low in the Oh valley, big vortmax rounding the base of the trough over the southeast, and a strong jet on the back side of this trough. Stronger jet on the backside means digging. This storm looks to come north and longitude will help us verbatim.

This run is not bad at all. You have a closed H5 low in the Oh valley, big vortmax rounding the base of the trough over the southeast, and a strong jet on the back side of this trough. Stronger jet on the backside means digging. This storm looks to come north and longitude will help us verbatim.

Very nice looking jet!

nam_300_078s.gif

If we can combine north with EC verocity..........:snowman:

Longitude will help Phil or all of us; if this run portends 2' for cc and 10" here, I hate it. :lol:

The baroclinic zone is also closer to the coast as well with low development going on over NC/SC...I would think storm would ride right up along the baroclinic zone. This is one thing I'd definitely watch on the NAM b/c the NAM usually picks up on this feature a bit better than other models.

First the NAM has to be viewed with a weary eye due to the mega change. Second it's happening very early in the run which will raise confidence if others support it.

Third I don't think this is bad for us at all.

You are lucky Blizz is in his footie pjs dreaming about pingers...

He hates that word... - wary

At 72 it looks ok to me... a little elongated maybe?

i think it's funny how guidance can sometimes yield similar sensible wx outcomes to other op runs using very different ways of getting there.

i think it's funny how guidance can sometimes yield similar sensible wx outcomes to other op runs using very different ways of getting there.

Seriously. If you were just comparing the late sfc maps with previous guidance you'd think not much change. I know Ray loves H5, but it took a totally different route aloft to get to the destination.

Archived