• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Post Christmas Bomb

Damage In Tolland

We could be in a good place Monday...doesn't happen often but this may be nice for the immediate coastal communities of eastern MA.

I'm still on the look out for a trend nw. I don't think that can be completely ruled out when we our 120 hrs or so, from the potential event. I won't be around for the later 00z arrivals, but hopefully they continue a nice trend.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still on the look out for a trend nw. I don't think that can be completely ruled out when we our 120 hrs or so, from the potential event. I won't be around for the later 00z arrivals, but hopefully they continue a nice trend.

Violently agree to the point of first degree murder. I'm not very concerned about being marginalized yet, not with 100 hours to go. Got a chuckle when snowNH called it over for him earlier. Conversely, nobody should be chucking high, far or over KGAY's car just yet lest they want to be humbled.

How much of a role do you think the ridge out in the west will play? Would you like to see it further west or does it not matter? I know some say the placement of the ridge doesn't matter all that much (I believe DT said this last night) while others (I know southlandwx) is worried about the ridge axis being a bit too far east. What's your take?

Having spent over half my 42 years living on the coast of New England my experience was that when models were consistently indicating a huge coastal bomb days out more often than not it trended west not east.

How much of a role do you think the ridge out in the west will play? Would you like to see it further west or does it not matter? I know some say the placement of the ridge doesn't matter all that much (I believe DT said this last night) while others (I know southlandwx) is worried about the ridge axis being a bit too far east. What's your take?

Well the ridge axis ultimately matters, but only to a point. It's the phasing that is the biggest issue. As of now, the ridge axis is far enough west to deliver a blow, but only because the euro phases. If you really want to get cute, you can also look at how the ridge transforms as it slowly moves east. This also has a big impact on our sensible wx. So many variables are yet to be determined.

Well the ridge axis ultimately matters, but only to a point. It's the phasing that is the biggest issue. As of now, the ridge axis is far enough west to deliver a blow, but only because the euro phases. If you really want to get cute, you can also look at how the ridge transforms as it slowly moves east. This also has a big impact on our sensible wx. So many variables are yet to be determined.

If the storm really winds up as we've seen in some model runs wouldn't it be more likely to pull in tighter towards the trough axis?

Would the ridge placement have any affects on the phasing at all?

Like if we saw the ridge axis say shifted west a hair, would that also means we see the trough axis shift west a bit which could induce phasing a bit further west...or early enough to tuck the storm closer to the coast?

Unquestionably. But I like the relative consistency around a window of solutions on the Euro the past few days.

If the storm really winds up as we've seen in some model runs wouldn't it be more likely to pull in tighter towards the trough axis?

It would probably move a little more north, but I think the ULL moving sse from Ontario and the ridge folding east a little keeps it south. That would probably also create a nasty deformation band at the outer edge.

Would the ridge placement have any affects on the phasing at all?

Like if we saw the ridge axis say shifted west a hair, would that also means we see the trough axis shift west a bit which could induce phasing a bit further west...or early enough to tuck the storm closer to the coast?

Well yeah if the ridge is west, then everything else is likely west too. I still think it's more s/w timing and strength then anything, but there are other factors that have a say.

It did trend slightly E from 00z...not a big one, but I just toggled 126 vs 138 and 132 vs 144 on the two runs and the 12z is definitely a tick east.

Looking at the qpf distribution the biggest effect is to trim the far NW borders but eastern areas on both runs including you, Kevin, Ray,all the downeast folks and S NH do well. The question is does this represent a trend? GFS moved more towards the Euro while the Euro moved mildly to GFS. I'm liking this convergence...and hopefully the Euro stays right where its at because that would be historic.

Let's talk intensity, what were the differences?

Ginxy, been out all day. You guys sure have been adding pages like there's no tomorrow. Went back and read through the posts made as the Euro came out. What's your take? Euro looks good to me already and I have a suspicion this could get better here as we get closer. This sure looks like a good ol' fashioned bomb to me.

Archived