Newest Member
    Monty
Post Christmas Bomb

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway OT

BTW...sorry I got defensive as it was not an attack on you. Marcus had his good qualities, but I guess I'm a little on edge today and the Marcus praise set me off. The guys here are working hard behind the scenes, and I'll stand by the fact that we've been running better here given the volume versus the old site.

Sorry again. :hug:

To be fair, some of us thought that yesterday...then boom.

This run isn't as good as 12z yesterday's for a very large portion of ne.

Man, it's uncanny how similar to the Jan 96 system the 12z EURO is across NE....gradient, jackpot....everything is like the same; qualitatively and quantitatively.

If you would like to know "how much for you", think back to the blizz of 1996.

Well nice to see the 18z creep west. Everyone should just take it easy and let the cards falls as they may. We got so much time for this to adjust one way or another....I feel like people have lost 15 years off their lives in the past week. laugh.gif

Yeah there is still so much time between now and Monday that there are a variety of different solutions that can unfold here. We have the potential though and I'll just run with that until we get closer and then decide whether or not to get emotionally attached. But I have no plans between now and Monday so about 95% of my time will be spent online and the other 5% sleeping.

Shrinking four out of the 100+ various image files isn't going to do anything. There is no issue with bandwidth, just the sheer volume of requests being processed. We'd have the same issue even if every image on the site was 1 byte.

Unless you're doing a hard refresh for some reason, your browser caches the image anyways.

I hit refresh all the time, and I think many others probably do as well. If there's no benefit to those images being that size why do it? Especially for people on slower connections trying to view the site, cell phones etc.

If image size didn't effect site speed every image on every site would be high resolution as a thumbnail...a similar sized image on amazon is 5-8kb not 50. Part of the load might well be people hitting refresh impatiently which only makes the problem worse as it's another request.

Anyway, was just a suggestion.

18z nogaps is in, still a terrible model.

The timing is good for this one. If it turns into a miss I have vacation to look forward to Tuesday through Friday... so I can still get excited about life even with a weather miss.

:lol:

Yeah I just put myself in your and Ray's shoes for a moment and I gotta say, I would be a bit disappointed if this fizzled. Heck, I'll still be disappointed even though I was never truly in the game (sure a EURO run or two showed big snow up here, but it was never really an option given the synoptic set-up) because it'll be so much fun to analyze to a big storm.

I think my initial knee-jerk reaction to Ray's disappointment with a moderate event was because I'm not modeled to get anything but cirrus (and even that may be a stretch, haha). I'd be over-joyed if this somehow gave me 5-10" but that brings this discussion full circle back to the "potential" aspect. To me personally, this has no potential for snow... so even 1-3" would be awesome, IMO. For you guys, I could definitely see it being a let-down... so I retract my previous statements.

I'm really pulling for you guys down there... hopefully its the big one SNE has been waiting for.

:lol:

Yeah I just put myself in your and Ray's shoes for a moment and I gotta say, I would be a bit disappointed if this fizzled. Heck, I'll still be disappointed even though I was never truly in the game (sure a EURO run or two showed big snow up here, but it was never really an option given the synoptic set-up) because it'll be so much fun to analyze to a big storm.

I think my initial knee-jerk reaction to Ray's disappointment with a moderate event was because I'm not modeled to get anything but cirrus (and even that may be a stretch, haha). I'd be over-joyed if this somehow gave me 5-10" but that brings this discussion full circle back to the "potential" aspect. To me personally, this has no potential for snow... so even 1-3" would be awesome, IMO. For you guys, I could definitely see it being a let-down... so I retract my previous statements.

I'm really pulling for you guys down there... hopefully its the big one SNE has been waiting for.

Exactly as I figured and I dn not blame you one iota.

Like I said, everything is relative.

BTW...sorry I got defensive as it was not an attack on you. Marcus had his good qualities, but I guess I'm a little on edge today and the Marcus praise set me off. The guys here are working hard behind the scenes, and I'll stand by the fact that we've been running better here given the volume versus the old site.

Sorry again. :hug:

I didn't mean it the way you took it but I understand why you reacted the way you did - no problems at all. I still have no idea what happened that set the whole thing off as I wasn't really paying attention during that timeframe. My suggestion on the image size was purely from an end user perspective. I do refresh often, I know my cache is set to 25mb which means I'm probably drawing images often as I visit other sites. Especially as they are viewable by guests it really seems to make sense to me to switch it to straight text/CSS or use smaller images. It can't hurt and can improve user performance and experience. My iphone seems to draw new content randomly as well, it's easy to accidently trigger a refresh.

IMO chopping down that image size can only help. Switching it to styled text would be even faster. Just my thoughts :)

No problem at all sorry for coming across as I did.

I mentioned the EC ensembles. They are cluster more together with the ensembles moving to the op, and the op slightly moving to the ensembles. Still some outliers, but some weenie western ones too.

That's a pretty good sign to not see so much spread within the ensemble means this far out...don't see that all too often. For the storm that got the Cape area the other day even up until a few days out there was still some considerable spread within the ensembles. Also a good thing IMO that were seeing the ens go a bit towards the OP and the OP going a bit towards the ens.

Archived