Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Post Christmas Bomb

Damage In Tolland

lol

5-10" for me is sort of a snoozer. It's definitely nice but I really live for big storms.

I like to ski in winter but other than that I can live without a bunch of nickle and dime events... I like the real deal. I'd much prefer a winter with 2 major snowstorms and torch temperatures in between than a winter that features a bunch of small events and cold temps.

City folks geez

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bingo... the way most are talking on here you'd think the storm was coming in tomorrow night and 15-30" has been locked by the NWS.

Part of it is potential too. A clipper event that looks liek 1-3 that winds up over producing and giving us 4-8 is exciting. A storm that could have been a true monster than winds up delivering a 3-6" scraping is a disappointment.

What I won't do, though, is let my personal feelings get involved in my forecasts. I understand just how rare a true classic snowstorm is so i have to be exceptionally confident to call for it. 9/10 times I'm more restrained than most mets!

lol

5-10" for me is sort of a snoozer. It's definitely nice but I really live for big storms.

I like to ski in winter but other than that I can live without a bunch of nickle and dime events... I like the real deal. I'd much prefer a winter with 2 major snowstorms and torch temperatures in between than a winter that features a bunch of small events and cold temps.

We are so much alike in that respect, but I will say that once the mod event is in progress and I can exchange obs, I enjoy it......but the model following and build up to mod event pales in comparison to biggies.

Again, just me.

Meltdown #1 is in the books....I'm gonna step away for awhile soon....need to.

lol

Haha no dude I'm just giving ya a hard time because I could've sworn like an hour ago you posted something like...

"If the 00z and 12z Euro runs tomorrow hold serve, then I'll get excited"

Then you go on posting that you'd be disappointed with 5-10"... sounds like you're already excited, lol.

We are so much alike in that respect, but I will say that once the mod event is in progress and I can exchange obs, I enjoy......but the model following and build up to mod event pales in comparison to biggies.

Again, just me.

Meltdown 1 is in the books....I'm gonna stepaway for awhile soon....need to.

Agreed 100%

Any event is fun. Whether it's a small snow event or severe outbreak or something else. All of it is fun IMO. It's the really big events that stand apart and that I really live for.

Part of it is potential too. A clipper event that looks liek 1-3 that winds up over producing and giving us 4-8 is exciting. A storm that could have been a true monster than winds up delivering a 3-6" scraping is a disappointment.

What I won't do, though, is let my personal feelings get involved in my forecasts. I understand just how rare a true classic snowstorm is so i have to be exceptionally confident to call for it. 9/10 times I'm more restrained than most mets!

This.

Everything is relative.

Haha no dude I'm just giving ya a hard time because I could've sworn like an hour ago you posted something like...

"If the 00z and 12z Euro runs tomorrow hold serve, then I'll get excited"

Then you go on posting that you'd be disappointed with 5-10"... sounds like you're already excited, lol.

Well, I'm a realist. Even if I'm excited I know the odds of an event happening are still low.

Yeah I was going to mention that... if this was modeled to be a complete miss for the past couple of days or a crappy little clipper, I'm sure most would be ecstatic if it over-performed to a moderate event.

Take what's happening right now in MA/NH... people seem to be very much enjoying the 1-4" they are getting this evening/night because expectations were bone dry.

1-4" on Monday would lead to a lot of chair tipping it sounds like.

This.

Everything is relative.

Part of what I try to do is even when I'm exciting (which I'll be tomorrow if the Euro is on board) I have no problem pointing out all the things that can go wrong and all the things that don't look good or right. I'm able to separate the weenie from the scientist. Even when I'm excited I can still put out forecasts that aren't nearly as exciting as what's in the back of my head lol.

Yeah I was going to mention that... if this was modeled to be a complete miss for the past couple of days or a crappy little clipper, I'm sure most would be ecstatic if it over-performed to a moderate event.

Take what's happening right now in MA/NH... people seem to be very much enjoying the 1-4" they are getting this evening/night because expectations were bone dry.

1-4" on Monday would lead to a lot of chair tipping it sounds like.

The timing is good for this one. If it turns into a miss I have vacation to look forward to Tuesday through Friday... so I can still get excited about life even with a weather miss.

I'd prefer a start like after midnite Sunday and all day Monday into Monday night..and then we dig out Tuesday. I'm off a few days next week as well

If we ended up getting what the Euro was showing than I'd be digging out until May...no snowblower and I live in a corner house so double the sidewalk, plus the driveway and 4 walkways.

that's good thinking

I'm trying to figure out if there was an added benefit to the fireworks information that made the files so large. I dont see one but it's possible I missed it. In any case that's about 15-20% of the page file size for those images.

Here's the top logo PNG, from 90 to under 8kb. The snowflake background looks nice but it's pretty large too. IMO lot of overhead that may result in features people use being disabled and this is viewable even by guests.

Anyway OT, but just running the pingdom test this page took half a minute to load. I'm not sure if it's route related or not but I've had some transient LONG load times of a minute or more.

I might be missing something but all the member/promet etc files are 50-90kb. Here's 4 of them in PNG format at 2-3kb. That's a lot of bandwidth with new visitors, visitors that are clearing caches etc.

Shrinking four out of the 100+ various image files isn't going to do anything. There is no issue with bandwidth, just the sheer volume of requests being processed. We'd have the same issue even if every image on the site was 1 byte.

Unless you're doing a hard refresh for some reason, your browser caches the image anyways.

Archived