• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Post Christmas Bomb

Damage In Tolland

I think the idea that you don't want to be in the bullseye five or seven or three days out is general bogus unless you are dealing with a known bias in one direction or another. Solutions will change sure....but the chances of something verifying close to what you are seeing at five days is better than waiting for something to trend 300 miles.

Yeah I agree. I'd definitely rather be in the path of something 5 days out that have something be hundreds of miles away from me in either direction.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there'll be some dry air in front, but not enough to be an issue.

Anyway, I don't really care HOW I end up getting screwed. We're still pretty much going to watch precip hitting a wall somewhere over southern NH (probably) and scooting quickly east.

I really don't really know how you can say that right now. Its 4-5 Days out! I like the position we are in right now.

WOW

that is absolutely devestating.

Yes. I tried to explain how I could be missing a 1-2 foot snowstorm to my mom and she was just like "oh, im sorry, Should we cancel the trip? (jokingly). She doesn't know that if it still looks like this on Friday I honestly would cancel it :lol:

and it is quotes like this that make it worse.

It's almost the most classic looking blizzard you can come up with for

SNE.

CT Blizz - my prediction for the 12z Euro is another near triple phaser that despite stalling around delmarva still delivers 2"+ qpf to boston and SNE.

:weenie: :weenie: :weenie:

Anyone with access to the euro - can you compare similar times of the 12Z NAM and 0Z Euro to see if the distance between the 50/50 and the S/W is any different? From what I was reading, there was great consternation and gnashing of teeth over confluence in the northeast during that run as well but the 50/50 jumped out just in time for the big hit it showed.

Gotta give myself a small pat on the back for staying strong with my conviction that the Euro wouldn't fold to it's ensembles for this upcoming run. I think my guess (which is definitely all it was - no scientific investigation, hence the self weenie) was pretty damn good.

Super phaser, CHECK

Stall around delmarva, CHECK

2"+ QPF Emphatic CHECK

Snowman.gifSnowman.gif

Well I said "almost" ... to get more classic you'd want it a bit slower and sort of stall south of BID.

Dec 92, Apr 97, Jan 05 screwed some people... this is almost a regionwide snow/wind thumping.

As modeled... unfortunately someone gets screwed in all the biggies. I bet even if this went down as the EURO models, it would still find a way to screw someone (and by that I mean like 12" of snow surrounded by 18-20" amounts, so its all relative).

There would have to be some subsidence zones in between a massive fronto band, no?

I'm refering to the ridge upstream over the center of the nation extending into Manitoba. As the Pacfic jet impinges on this ridge, it will tend to break anticyclonically (think of a ocean wave breaking). At the same time, there's energy over northern Quebec that dives southward. Yesterday's 12z Euro showed this energy diving south before the ridge started to break (and actually held it back to some extent). Thus it was able to reach southeast Ontario, and help pull the huge coastal bomb west. The lastest few runs have the ridge breaking earlier and the Quebec disturbance rides the eastern edge of the falling crest, thus being pushed eastward, and once it reaches southern Quebec, it also acts to sweep the coastal storm eastward limiting it's maximum latitude.

OK wow that is fascinating

i was trying to figure out what was causing this monster to put on such sharp brakes....thank you so much for the explanation!

if im going to miss out on the storm, im glad i at least know why. im guessing the (unlikely) trend we need is a less impressive Pac jet then to break down the ridge.

thanks again for the great explanation! :)

Probably my most traumatic miss was 12/9/05 although I've missed way bigger storms. To hear the obs from Logan on my phone from sunny SAN...."visibility 1/8 mile, thunderstorm, heavy snow" was like a dagger. But leaving 2 days before the Dec 03 bomb which gave my town 2 feet was no picnic. Missing the March 93 storm and living on the west coast for 78....all of these things have made me the raving weenie I've become....

terrible that is a lifetime of heartbreak right there

just for all that, you defintely deserve this one.

admittedly, noone else does,:P

but you do.:thumbsup:

I'm not concerned about the inflow that's helping you hindering northern areas. I do believe the further south iteration is shifting the heavier qpf shield south. I can't believe it could go south to hurt you at this point, but it can very easily continue to slip causing many in eastern NY/VT/NW Mass/SW NH to get the royal screwgie.

Does that make sense? I don't think I'm being off my rocker with this.

As I said to Ryan... in every storm, someone has to get screwed. It can't snow a lot everywhere and not everyone can be in the jackpot.

I'm not sure I'd look at it as "getting screwed" by mother nature, but more as if the storm just wasn't meant to be for a certain area. I'm not expecting anything out of this, but I'm going to enjoy watching this unfold for SNE.

Its still incredibly fun to watch, learn, and analyze a potentially historic snowstorm even if it doesn't occur in your backyard. Plus, the areas on the outside of this system are generally "snowier" climate areas anyway, so you'll make it up somewhere.

terrible that is a lifetime of heartbreak right there

just for all that, you defintely deserve this one.

admittedly, noone else does,:P

but you do.:thumbsup:

Good man and thank you!

GFS is faster and as such will apparently occlude this system further north as it will have gained more latitude by the time it closes...we'll see.

I"m worrying less about a 1/25 redo with the big dance being way way to our south.

GFS upticked the system tonight, 1-3 seems like a good bet over EMA and then we watch for a 2-4/3-6 band.

I also wonder whether we will see this miracle band stay on the SW fringe of the precip all night.

EDIT: someone needs to put marcus on the payroll....server speed slower than the old site.

I think the idea that you don't want to be in the bullseye five or seven or three days out is general bogus unless you are dealing with a known bias in one direction or another. Solutions will change sure....but the chances of something verifying close to what you are seeing at five days is better than waiting for something to trend 300 miles.

Weenie psychology 101... see now we've got posts saying "I like being in the bullseye" from the folks who are, well, in the bullseye. There are also posts that say "I like where I stand so that when this trends XYZ I will THEN be in the bullseye when it really matters."

The emotional and superstitious and psychological circles that get spun here are ridiculous when you consider the models and mother nature do not consider human emotions in their outcomes.

Well the Euro remains sharper with the trough and a bit further west than the GFS. So I think this will be east of the Euro.

As excited as everyone is about the Euro op and ensembles it's still going to take work for this to be a monster. It's definitely not a lock... far from it in fact.

Archived