Newest Member
    Monty
Post Christmas Bomb

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good info - thanks!

The full moon played a significant role in the tides in 1978 blizzard. Interesting that tides were so high on the CT coast with generally NNE winds - the position of the low probably played a big role, keeping winds more easterly just to the E of LI Sound near Block Island and ACK and helping to pile up the water in the Sound.

The best tide records in CT are at the Stamford Hurricane Barrier.

1992 nor'easter - 10.1'

1978 blizzard - 9.8' (4th highest tide in almost 100 years)

Becoming more confident in a major hit for the Mid Atlantic into SE New England. North of Rt 2, things aren't looking so great IMO, and even north of the pike, I'm not so sure. The trend for anticyclonic wave breaking over Ontario is more realistic and doesn't seem like the trend is reversible.

I have seen a lot of these lows that bomb down south and then basically jump east northeast offshore to a triple point after occlusion. So thus from day 5 to day 6 the surface low seems to have shot way offshore.

Generally they have a sharp WSW to ENE cutoff of heavy snowfall. The ECM is weird with its SW to NE back edge of heaviest snow.

So get this thing to like DE Bay at occlusion and I'd be more confident of a big hit. But it could certainly edge north a bit ...saw that also in past events.

I personally don't care what the ensembles look like. 5-6 runs in a row

I'm starting to see this thing as being so massive in terms of areal coverage that it may not matter if it passes some 100 miles E of ideal - you'd still be close enough to the gravity well to be sucked into the impact envelope (so to speak).

This is the point I was trying to make earlier today, think 93 only us in Syracuse, this is a massive storm on the Euro, just tremendous inflow. I mean 60knots from the East. QPFis incredible and is going to be huge in the higher els including the Berks.

I'm starting to see this thing as being so massive in terms of areal coverage that it may not matter if it passes some 100 miles E of ideal - you'd still be close enough to the gravity well to be sucked into the impact envelope (so to speak).

How far north of the MA/NH border does the heavy precip get? I'm praying for a good hit to the Monadnock area as the last couple of years have left us a little snow deprived.

WHy do the qpf totals from SV differ from WSI for the Euro?

I'm not sure, but I've always found the SV totals to be weenie totals...really high. The WSI totals always look a bit more realistic. I'm not sure how SV gets their data, but I certainly trust a vendor like WSI more.

Either way, its still a huge storm.

I'm pretty optimistic, but this could still slide SE...even if it phases. I think its silly for people to be almost guaranteeing that we get crushed at this time range...thats all.

Speaking for someone who's outside the 'crushing' zone, I am most optimistic that some folks in SNE will have a good storm. I'm more confident that God's Country will be on the outside looking in for this one. I'm not sure where the system will get the wherewithall to come further NW.

I'm comforted that we're still several days out so perhaps things can shift. Unforutnatley, I think the more likely adjustments will be SE rather than north or nw.

This needs to be emphasized very much ...formulated into a hand, and smacked across Kevin's face in a repeated back and forth pattern:

CAUTION IS ADVISED IN LITERAL MODEL INTERPRETATION AT THIS

POINT...AS WE ARE AT LEAST FOUR DAYS AWAY FROM THE POTENTIAL EVENT.

THE MODEL ITERATIONS EACH RUN WILL LIKELY CHANGE CONSIDERABLY OVER

THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS GIVEN THE TYPICAL PHASING PROBLEMS THE

OPERATIONAL MODELS HAVE REGARDING SPLIT JET STREAM PATTERNS. STAY

TUNED TO THE LATEST FORECASTS FOR LATER THIS WEEKEND.

This needs to be emphasized very much ...formulated into a hand, and smacked across Kevin's face in a repeated back and forth pattern:

CAUTION IS ADVISED IN LITERAL MODEL INTERPRETATION AT THIS

POINT...AS WE ARE AT LEAST FOUR DAYS AWAY FROM THE POTENTIAL EVENT.

THE MODEL ITERATIONS EACH RUN WILL LIKELY CHANGE CONSIDERABLY OVER

THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS GIVEN THE TYPICAL PHASING PROBLEMS THE

OPERATIONAL MODELS HAVE REGARDING SPLIT JET STREAM PATTERNS. STAY

TUNED TO THE LATEST FORECASTS FOR LATER THIS WEEKEND.

Caution should always be advised 3+ days out

Becoming more confident in a major hit for the Mid Atlantic into SE New England. North of Rt 2, things aren't looking so great IMO, and even north of the pike, I'm not so sure. The trend for anticyclonic wave breaking over Ontario is more realistic and doesn't seem like the trend is reversible.

Well that's a bummer read.

could you offer an explanation please?

this have to do with the NAO/blocking?

Archived