Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Post Christmas Bomb

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Euro is right the place to be is New Haven. Awesome coastal flooding... 20" of snow... and 50+ knot winds lol.

never good to be in the jackpot this early though thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

still...I was nervous this morning based on some of the overnight trends...but I'm really starting to feel it now! Confidence high on at least a MECS for the region...while the potential for a HECs is slowling building.

Sort of 96-esque. The question is how early it occludes. Remember early runs on 1/96 had the thing occluding too far south... kept inching north with time.

Early runs of last season's MA blizzards had the same occlusisons and we waited for them to inch north. And waited. And waited.

I know--new year. I'm hoping this can make it a littler further up. Could be fun times for all.

Yup, practically identical to the 00z, and very similar to the 12z, except once again, the upstream ridge screws the interior by cutting this off too soon. Starting to become a theme now. Huge hit for SE New England.

So were screwed you think?

NYC/Long Island haven't seen a nor'easter produce major coastal flooding AND heavy snow (1 foot+) in a long, long time. The last one may have been Feb 4-7, 1920.

NYC/LI were spared major flooding in the blizzard of '78 because it bombed ESE of LI, and winds were mainly from the NNE and N. The March 1993 storm had very strong ENE winds but the storm moved too fast to allow the water to really pile up in LI Sound.

In my experience, in order to produce major coastal flooding in NYC and LI, the wind direction generally needs to be ENE or E.

The Euro closing so early means major coastal flooding and wind for NYC/S CT on Long Island Sound. Very 92 looking scenario with 1-2 ft of snow even down to the coast lol.

I would say you all better hope this occludes further north than Norfolk because I can't recall when SNE got in the bulls eye for snowfall with a low cutting off that far south. It seems like some lucky quirk that the ECM manages to pull heavy snow that far north of the low. I think you need this thing up to at least DE Bay.....

Archived