• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Post Christmas Bomb

Damage In Tolland

We've had a bit of a dought for major storms. Can't complain about snowfall as a whole, since 07-08 and 08-09 were pretty good. But It's going on 4 years without a 12"+ storm

same here. have had a couple 11 inchers in that span, but nothing 12+. unusual.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think that whole argument is just weenie talk. Models don't have major misalignments between upper level features and the surface reflection.. if they did they would never even be able to get a 6 hour forecast correct. That's a pretty basic aspect of storm physics models would have to get right in order to predict anything. Usually there's a reason in the upper levels causing the storm to be so far east (like leading PVA that disrupts the storm cyclogenesis).

And they never do

So let's see....I'm not sure why so negative? GFS and Euro have converged on a pretty big event for the most popuated areas. CMC went east but it still have a huge event and it is within clear striking distance of a blizzard. Besides, it's a 3rd string model even behind GFS. Crazy Uncle has the whacky idea of wrapping up a bomb near HSE and then moving it towards the Mediterranean. Not gonna happen. Euro should pretty much hold. I'm feeling this one.

The gradient on the 12z GFS is similar to the blizzard of '78, just shifted east so the highest winds are just offshore. Verbatim, the 12z GFS has ~50 kt winds for 6 hours at Chatham, MA: http://wxweb.meteost...shtml?text=kcqx

It also has a 65 to 70 kt jet at 850 mb impacting much of SE New England including SE MA, RI, SE CT and the Twin Forks of LI.

I am skeptical that sustained winds will actually reach 50 kt anywhere given experience with past storms. I did a little research, and can't find any nor'easter in the past 50 years that produced 50 kt or greater sustained winds on land in New England or the mid-Atlantic. Here are the highest winds in some recent ones:

Mar 1962 "Ash Wednesday" Nor'easter-

BID gust 73 kt

Feb 1978 Blizzard -

BOS sustained 44 kt, gust 69 kt

CQX gust 81 kt

FMH and ACK sustained 35 kt, gust 55 kt

ISP sustained 40 kt, gust 52 kt

Oct 1991 "Perfect Storm"-

CQX gust 68 kt

ACK sustained 40 kt, gust 55 kt

Dec 1992 Nor'easter -

LGA sustained 45 kt, gust 67 kt

Mar 1993 Blizzard -

LGA sustained 45 kt, gust 60 kt

BOS sustained 47 kt; gust 70 kt

PVC sustained 41 kt; gust 70 kt

Fire Island, NY gust 79 kt

Mar 2010 Nor'easter -

JFK sustained 45 kt, gust 64 kt

ACY sustained 35 kt, gust 63 kt

Bridgehampton, NY gust 60 kt

It went fishing. Here is last nights 144h panel.

f144.gif

Based on that, Andy's statement makes me think it's even worse now. IIIRC, I think he said it headed east from hatteras.

I wonder when the last time the Mohawk REginoal school district went an entire December without a snow day.........a pretty rare occurance.

Based on that, Andy's statement makes me think it's even worse now. IIIRC, I think he said it headed east from hatteras.

I wonder when the last time the Mohawk REginoal school district went an entire December without a snow day.........a pretty rare occurance.

Mike..the Ukie has been horrendous. Almost as bad as the GFS this cold season. It has an extreme cold south and east bias..and it's been even worse than usual this year.Toss it

They're in school next week???

Mike..the Ukie has been horrendous. Almost as bad as the GFS this cold season. It has an extreme cold south and east bias..and it's been even worse than usual this year.Toss it

The UK is frequently bad with these storms. Funky solutions.

I think overall the GFS has been decent so far this December.

I'm happy to put that in the trash heap. I hoping against so many of you I feel bad. There's a lot of hope for the EC to hold/nudge east. That will lend credence to my fears with the system. Of course, it's hard for us to all win in SNE.

I'm happy to put that in the trash heap. I hoping against so many of you I feel bad. There's a lot of hope for the EC to hold/nudge east. That will lend credence to my fears with the system. Of course, it's hard for us to all win in SNE.

I would gladly throw you under Randy's bus if it meant I could get a wind-blown foot. Nothing personal.

The gradient on the 12z GFS is similar to the blizzard of '78, just shifted east so the highest winds are just offshore. Verbatim, the 12z GFS has ~50 kt winds for 6 hours at Chatham, MA: http://wxweb.meteost...shtml?text=kcqx

It also has a 65 to 70 kt jet at 850 mb impacting much of SE New England including SE MA, RI, SE CT and the Twin Forks of LI.

I am skeptical that sustained winds will actually reach 50 kt anywhere given experience with past storms. I did a little research, and can't find any nor'easter in the past 50 years that produced 50 kt or greater sustained winds on land in New England or the mid-Atlantic. Here are the highest winds in some recent ones:

Feb 1978 Blizzard -

BOS sustained 44 kt, gust 69 kt

CQX gust 81 kt

FMH and ACK sustained 35 kt, gust 55 kt

ISP sustained 40 kt, gust 52 kt

Oct 1991 "Perfect Storm"-

CQX gust 68 kt

ACK sustained 40 kt, gust 55 kt

Dec 1992 Nor'easter -

LGA sustained 45 kt, gust 67 kt

Mar 1993 Blizzard -

LGA sustained 45 kt, gust 60 kt

BOS sustained 47 kt; gust 70 kt

PVC sustained 41 kt; gust 70 kt

Fire Island, NY gust 79 kt

Mar 2010 Nor'easter -

JFK sustained 45 kt, gust 64 kt

ACY sustained 35 kt, gust 63 kt

Bridgehampton, NY gust 60 kt

Nice research. What about the Jan 2005 Blizzard?

They're in school next week???

No, Christmas vacation. So, tomorrow's the last day in December. Geographically, we're the largest district in the state. Something like 400 square miles or something from the 9 towns that make up the district (all for a graduating class of about 118 people. lol). It doesn't take much to make for closures here.

Archived