Newest Member
    Monty
December pattern/forecast thread

weathafella

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, yoda said:

Hey Will, its in la-la land, but check out the brutal cold coalescing in W Canada (specifically BC) and looks to be moving SE into the Upper Plains/Pacific NW shortly after the run ends... 2m temps are in the -40s

my old prof always likened to a dam up there, first the spillway over flows then the whole thing breaks. Where the water (air) flows depends on the rocks in the stream below.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol we numb at this point when it comes to the big high-impact east coast storms.  

The juju will be back.  Been an epic run for the coastal plain when it comes to big ticket events since 2013.  

For some it has, We will see going forward how this evolves, I would take some SWFE in the interim until we flip the pattern then line up the Miller B's

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The northern stream has been trending a little more potent for the Dec 5 fiasco...so even if the cutoff down south whiffs in any interaction with it, we may still need to watch the northern energy for a minor event.

If that dug a bit more, would be a nice 1-3 job.

15 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I was watching the latest forecast update from Joe Cioffi. He mentioned that the models may be having a hard time handling the abnormal Polar warmth and throwing off model consistency. Could this be true?

Models struggle with large anomalies period. Not stellar with blocking either. 

25 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I was watching the latest forecast update from Joe Cioffi. He mentioned that the models may be having a hard time handling the abnormal Polar warmth and throwing off model consistency. Could this be true?

don't personally see why any mass-field anomaly would cause a system performance issue across the various models - no. 

other mets may have some deeper insight but, the governing equations (thermodynamic/fluid dynamics) are guided by mathematical computations (calculated at grid points) - the math its self doesn't change because of anomalous degrees of temperature and/or quantities of moisture/aerosols at any grid point.  

one thing i have noticed is an unusually large amount of total mid level gradient, ambient, between ~ 35 N and 66 N around the girdle of the hemisphere.  large gradient means the winds in the middle troposphere are going to average stronger.  stronger/faster winds are often problematic for the models because they tend to perform poorly with faster flow regimes.  i'm just not sure that's the same thing as a 'warm polar region' though - i suppose positive anomaly warmth against negative anomaly cold would have to change my thinking on that .. but, a warm polar region would tend to offset said gradient so I'm again not certain this is what he had in mind.

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If that s/w that finally ejects out of Mexico can stay intact more, might have a wintry deal in 7 days. This is the s/w the some guidance has really struggled on. So, two low chance deals perhaps next week. I stress low chance.

lol you know there'll be a post in like an hour saying "We'll if we get Scooter's two snowstorms next week...."

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol you know there'll be a post in like an hour saying "We'll if we get Scooter's two snowstorms next week...."

Haha, I know. I almost didn't want to say anything...but it may be something to watch anyways.  With the models struggling with the Mexico closed low...can't really write off anything.

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Winter is coming. Get on the bus or get run over

Cyi5JfCXUAU_nWA.jpg  

Firstly, that product doesn't mean it's time to jump on anything...

this has been explained to you ... a half dozen times, but I will again simply because I'm bored at the moment.  That means there is at or less than a 40 % chance for below normal temperatures - which in plain English means the assessment has an ~ 60 % chance of N/S; moreover, that region barely includes New England. 

in other words, the signal's week.  It's actually more likely to dapple anomalies on either side of 0 SD throughout that area - perhaps a few more negatives just to resist being pissy about it. 

i'll also add that i have reservations about that outlook anyway.

Archived