BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
October 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hit 36 here.  Nice recovery back up to 60 with a nice south breeze and full sun.  Lots of leaves coming down today.  Most of the ash trees are now bare.  They had previously been the most colorful.  Sugar Maples are the most colorful now, and still mostly loaded with leaves.  Elms are starting to turn pretty nicely now.  Once they turn they're usually bare within a week, as they drop their leaves pretty fast.  Red oaks really haven't started turning yet.  Red maples are still way behind as well.

It sure is a nice and sunny day out there today!  There are lots of leaves on the trees and the color is now very good.  Good day to take a drive and look at the color.   While the airport stopped at 37° this morning I had a low in my back yard (a low cold spot) of 32° and in my “warmer” spot the low was 36° and yes there was frost here once again.  But no freeze at GRR nor has there been one at my “warmer” location.  That 32 in my back yard is the first 32 there this fall. Note the average first 32° reading in the fall for GRR is around October 10th so we are running later then average on that.

SlimJim

1 hour ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

I know this is in fantasy range, but the Long Range GFS shows the first real winter storm on in for the UP. 

You can tell winters coming, if you want it or not.

snow.png

That's one of the best things about getting closer to winter. We get our fantasyland storms from the GFS. :lol:

81F here. Yet another 80+ day in October. Longer range EPS has been advertising a 2-3SD block over Greenland but also has a raging Pac jet. Any cold shots will be very transient under that setup and it favors above to much above normal temps in the mean for almost everyone (except perhaps the far north/northeastern tier).

Interesting developments in the stratosphere as the PV is forecast to split with one lobe heading down into NA and another near the Kara Sea. The split may be temporary -- but we'll have to wait and see. Sea ice is at record lows with plenty of open water still present over the Arctic Ocean, so there's a lot of heat flux still to come.

Our weak Nina continues to evolve and it looks to peak fairly soon. A notable lack of cooling in Nino1+2 continues, isolating negative anomalies to the central Pacific, making this a CP Nina.

From Zhang, et. al (2014):

(b) is the composite from CP Ninas (for 300mb):

CPvsEP Nina.gif

Yesterday was a great late October day!   There was a lot of sunshine warm temperatures (68° here at Grand Rapids) and good color around the area. I see the NWS has stopped issuing their frost/freeze warnings because the growing season is over.  Well in my area there are still some people that have tomato plants still growing and while I took my plants out (the tomatoes were gone and too late for more to ripen) I still do have many tender flowers growing in the yard. So even though the area still has not had a freeze yet I can see where the NWS is coming from as after all its late October and there should have been a killing frost by now.  I am sure we will have one in the next one to two weeks.

A very pleasant couple of days has allowed me to get my, and my neighbor's, gutters and lawn cleaned up and mowed.  We have a rain system moving in tomorrow night that could drop a half inch to perhaps an inch if we're lucky.  It has been a dry month, so we could use a decent soaking.  Models continue to suggest no freeze through the end of the month.

Only made 60 today with full sun all day.  Can definitely tell the seasons are changing when it can be sunny all day and the temp barely cracks 60.

Ran down to the Loud Thunder Forest Preserve east of Muscatine earlier today.  Color is pretty patchy.  Definitely not as good as normal, but a few tree species were decent.

x5z2x2.jpg

2cgbs0l.jpg

zluqtu.jpg

2cpuddy.jpg

i2li7r.jpg

I see that the official low at GRR was 33° last night so no “official” freeze at the airport yet!  However here at my house I  had a low of 30° and even now at almost 9:30 there is still a lot of frost looking out the windows. And the temperature here is now 35° and sunny. Also of note is that most other locations in the area did get in the 30 to 32 range last night.

First frost of the season here in the city as we bottomed out at 35F this morning. The surrounding metro counties are under another Frost Advisory, but the city should be safe once again as a few earlier instances in October. Average first freeze is Oct 27th, so we'll pass that well into next week. Frost/freeze program ends Nov. 7 for immediate Columbus and south to the river, then extending westward to Cincinnati. It ends Nov. 1 everywhere else.

Archived