Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning's models are similar.  The trend toward stronger subtropical ridging pushing Matthew farther west has halted.  A northward track between Jamaica and Haiti is looking pretty good.  One change this morning is the models have again decided to keep the influence of the pesky cutoff upper low over the eastern US hanging around.  For example, the euro, instead of totally lifting the upper low up and away into the north Atlantic with a building ridge over New England, suddenly has the upper low still parked off the mid-Atlantic coast, ready to tug on Matthew.  The other models are similar in at least showing a weak tail from the upper low still hanging back.  Models have been struggling with this upper low, though, with major changes from one run/day to the next, so it could easily change again.

28 minutes ago, beanskip said:

Don't let DT see the 12z Euro -- big trend toward the GFS camp.

Disagree. At 216, Matthew is still in the Bahamas on the euro. On the GFS it's near the Delmarva area... But as far as general track goes, sure... But it's only one run. 

I don't buy the left half of the EPS members. IMO they show much interaction with the trough in the GoM, and the ECMWF often has a westerly bias with CV type storms as it is. I am liking the idea of Matty emerging off E Cuba into the Bahamas. After that just too many unknowns including that mentioned above with lagging mid latitude troughing, also uncertain strength of larger scale ridging to the north/east and remote possibility of trough in the West having some play if events unfold more slowly.

Pressure down to 1004 per recon. Winds up to 65 mph. Core looks to be organizing on radar with a strong banding feature on the eastern semicircle which may be the beginnings of an eyewall. Per NHC, the motion has also slowed down a bit more to W @ 15 mph.

Martinique recently had a wind gust to 89 mph. The trade induced surface winds against the ridge are really screaming on the north side of the circulation.

I really wouldn't be shocked to see a Hurricane soon. Those 71 knot FL winds are very impressive as well as the 89 mph gust on Martinique

SHIPS Prob RI for 25kt/ 24hr RI threshold=  70% is   6.1 times sample mean (11.6%)
 SHIPS Prob RI for 30kt/ 24hr RI threshold=  50% is   6.9 times sample mean ( 7.2%)
 SHIPS Prob RI for 35kt/ 24hr RI threshold=  35% is   8.4 times sample mean ( 4.2%)
 SHIPS Prob RI for 40kt/ 24hr RI threshold=  23% is   8.2 times sample mean ( 2.8%)
 SHIPS Prob RI for 45kt/ 36hr RI threshold=  42% is   8.6 times sample mean ( 4.9%)
 SHIPS Prob RI for 55kt/ 48hr RI threshold=  44% is   8.7 times sample mean ( 5.1%)

Capture.png

As we've seen often this season, Matthew has a ball of deep convection this evening but the surface center is not under it.  Recon shows the center continuing to shoot westward(actually a bit south of west) out ahead of all the convection.  Any convection that tries to fire over the western half of the circulation quickly dries up.

While I think areas like Florida are becoming less likely (the last JMA run I saw had a Southern FL hit.. so lets throw it out), any East Coast area from NC onward is on the plate. My gut tells me a close miss, OTS solution for all. Still, a few larger scale issues to figure out. We aren't going to really know much for a few days at the least.

Archived