• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
WPAC, Indian Ocean, and Southern Hemisphere Tropical Cyclones

1900hurricane

Yagi could also do some damage in Haiphong and Ha Long (coastal cities in north Vietnam). It’s still at 100 knots according to JTWC and looks pretty well-organized on satellite.
Yagi may be the big bad TC of 2024. That's not to downplay Shanshan's flooding impacts to Japan. Yagi has already caused severe flooding in the Philippines, smacked a densely populated city (Haikou) at Category 3+ intensity, and appears to have reintensified now prior to densely populated port cities in northern Vietnam. I can not recall a typhoon ever this strong impacting the Haiphong and Ha Long metropolitan regions in the satellite era. I am worried about potential storm surge up the estuaries there. Yagi may have been moving just slow enough to regain fetch in the Gulf of Tonkin.

edcd346ae33831932ddc2391e6e3c8ed.gif
  • Like 3

Yagi continues to re-intensify and is now a Category 4 equivalent as explosive convection with HTs wrap the eye.

Dire situation unfolding. Densely populated region at or below 2.5 meters (8 feet) -- essentially infrastructure built upon a river delta. The shallow gulf combined with shape of the coastline within the northern half of the circulation may funnel surge into these low-lying urban areas.

e438ca71a48b32364f252056bc615726.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Considering the numerous videos floating around on SM showing direct hits or close calls by flying debris unleashed by extreme winds on pedestrians, motorists and especially motorcyclists, I am left to wonder at how little these populaces disregard official warnings (or the lack thereof) to protect life and property. For all of the flak Americans get for riding out TCs, at least most of us heed warnings and stay sheltered. Another thought that crosses my mind is even more sobering. The struggle to keep a job for basic survival forces folks to risk life and limb. People can bitch and moan at the disruption a TC will bring to a region, but I am very relieved and proud that we have the societal structure and system of government in place to not only protect our citizens, but help them manage the survival part so they aren't forced by some shitty corporation to either bleed or starve.

• Like 4

^appreciate the post and sentiment but part of me feels like that’s a cultural thing.  I’ve seen several videos of Asian folks out and about during typhoons over the years.  I think they have a different relationship with typhoons than we do with hurricanes in America.  Not saying it’s right or wrong just an observation of mine