• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
NYC/PHL December 24-27 Potential - Part 2

forkyfork

Plus, you'd have to qualify storms that passed over us or just inland as near misses also, not just barely OTS ones.

I agree. It would be a nightmare to gather the information and then statistically "treat" it. Someone would need to be put in a room for a while, gather the data and say: __% coast hugger, ___% cutter, ___% coastal BM rider, ___% OTS, etc. Obviously, it's easier posing the question than answering them.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swear storms seem to start later than modeled the last decade or so, before that they always seemed to be a bit early..almost like the models overcompensated a bit for the fact they were always late.

This one might win the award. At one time it was suppose to start Christmas Eve. The next thread title is going to have to be Dec 25-28 or 26-29. Its like the arrival gate number at Airport.

I expect a very slight NW jog with the 12z runs of the NAM and GFS and then watch the 12z Euro make a big jump toward the GFS. Those still holding out hope will not be in a great mood around 1 or 2pm this afternoon.

Good Lord! That confluence has been there on every run. Relax folks.

It may not look good on NAM, but until the Euro folds, I have faith.

I expect a very slight NW jog with the 12z runs of the NAM and GFS and then watch the 12z Euro make a big jump toward the GFS. Those still holding out hope will not be in a great mood around 1 or 2pm this afternoon.

I agree. I suggest looking at the statistical discussions on pages 40 and 41 illustrating that the odds are not on our side. However, I would never say never.

I agree. I suggest looking at the statistical discussions on pages 40 and 41 illustrating that the odds are not on our side. However, I would never say never.

If I told you PHL would be over 75" of snow last year and that we'd be a part of 2 KU events in a week and 3 within a month, would you have believed it?

Statistical analysis wouldn't have predicted that either--no disrespect to Tony (rainshadow)...

I echo these sentiments exactly although I don't think the NAM run improved at all. Today's 12z Euro I think will jump east more in line with its ensembles.

If I told you PHL would be over 75" of snow last year and that we'd be a part of 2 KU events in a week and 3 within a month, would you have believed it?

Statistical analysis wouldn't have predicted that either--no disrespect to Tony (rainshadow)...

As we discussed, there is a chance that the odds mentioned go up as a result of where we are today (some model support versus picking a random day) but the odds are still pretty low. I agree 100% with you that I wouldn't have thought you'd get 75" of snow last year, however, based on statistics what would you think the odds of getting that again this year are (or any given year)?

Sounds like some are lining up now to be the first to have 'called' the demise of the Euro fantasy runs. I am not saying you guys are wrong, just an observation and it makes me chuckle. I really hate this part of the tracking timeline, it turns into somewhat of a pissing contest with people predicting what the next op run will look like and then going, "SEE!!! I TOLD YA!!!".

BTW, have we seen many instances where the Euro caves to the GFS? In my limited experience, it's usually the other way around....

As we discussed, there is a chance that the odds mentioned go up as a result of where we are today (some model support versus picking a random day) but the odds are still pretty low. I agree 100% with you that I wouldn't have thought you'd get 75" of snow last year, however, based on statistics what would you think the odds of getting that again this year are (or any given year)?

By the way, model watching and analyzing is more entertaining than statistical analysis.

Archived