• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is what I was alluding to earlier!  This is not far from a big SE winter storm.  No cutter on this map.  Miller B, possibly.  Look at the Greenland block.  Look at the PV acting as a 50/50 low, locking confluence over the NE.  Only fly in the ointment is the Lakes Low.  It may or may not be there at game time, but this map is a much, much better map than the one I posted earlier and is VERY close to what we're looking for.

post-987-0-44086400-1452193837_thumb.jpg

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is what I was alluding to earlier!  This is not far from a big SE winter storm.  No cutter on this map.  Miller B, possibly.  Look at the Greenland block.  Look at the PV acting as a 50/50 low, locking confluence over the NE.  Only fly in the ointment is the Lakes Low.  It may or may not be there at game time, but this map is a much, much better map than the one I posted earlier and is VERY close to what we're looking for.

That has been a constant over the past 3 years.  It has ruined a many snowstorms for us.

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is what I was alluding to earlier! This is not far from a big SE winter storm. No cutter on this map. Miller B, possibly. Look at the Greenland block. Look at the PV acting as a 50/50 low, locking confluence over the NE. Only fly in the ointment is the Lakes Low. It may or may not be there at game time, but this map is a much, much better map than the one I posted earlier and is VERY close to what we're looking for.

attachicon.giff216.jpg

Yes this whole cutting idea is s joke with that block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for the sake of discussion then, looking at this map on the GFS, we have what seems to be a very stout west based -NAO and a finely placed 50/50 low which as mentioned, should create nice confluence in the east, thus making it cold in the east.  My question is why does the temp anomaly map for this time period show warm up and down the east coast? 

The GFS does show a broad but weak ridge off the SE coast and momentarily loses the 50/50 low, so that may have something to do with it.  850mb temps look warm but the surface did not, however I just did a quick glance.  With such a strong block in place I would say the GFS could very well be off its rocker allowing for that much of a warmup.

Although all models will struggle in a Nino winter the GFS will struggle the most as it tends to favor northern stream waves and I dont have to tell you how bad it is with blocking patterns ala Sandy.

I agree with that but temps will be another fly I guess because of the GLL

The GLL get overplayed every year. Are we really to believe a day 9/10 setup?? I don't but I do think everything is there to come together . Just gonna have to wait it out

The GLL get overplayed every year. Are we really to believe a day 9/10 setup?? I don't but I do think everything is there to come together . Just gonna have to wait it out

guys in the NY forum mentioned this potential...if you look at the 500mb for the 17th its impressive...the block is almost too strong..go figure..but cutting seems not likely if that holds...which it won't meaning it won't look exactly like that 10 days out.

attachicon.giff216.jpg

All of the best players are on the field with the upper level setup.  Just waiting for the surface to catch up.

Maybe we can get some more flurry action next week. Right now that's about all we can hope for:

MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY: A BROAD TROUGH IS EXPECTED TO BECOME
ESTABLISHED OVER THE THE EASTERN HALF OF THE COUNTRY EARLY TO MID
NEXT WEEK... WITH GENERALLY DRY AND COLD WEATHER EXPECTED NEXT WEEK.
ONE SIGNIFICANT S/W IS EXPECTED TO ROTATE THROUGH THE L/W PATTERN
NEXT WEEK... POSSIBLY YIELDING SOME LIGHT PRECIP
(FLURRIES/SPRINKLES) IN THE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY TIME FRAME.
HOWEVER... WE ARE TALKING ABOUT S/W ENERGY TRACKING ACROSS OUR AREA
5 TO 6 DAYS FROM NOW. THUS... PLAN TO STICK TO THE OVERALL MODEL
CONSENSUS WHICH IS BACKED UP BY A LARGE MAJORITY OF THE MEDIUM RANGE
ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE AND KEEP THE FORECAST DRY. THIS YIELDS HIGH
GENERALLY RUNNING IN THE 40S AND LOWS IN THE 20S TO MAYBE LOWER 30S.

attachicon.giff216.jpg

Thanks CR/UNCC!  Not sure why the 850s are in n. virginia though.  I just need to go to school....and until then just understand that it ain't gonna snow for a while!.

But it is stronger and if you loop the simulated radar it seems to be increasing. **Not saying it has much hope, and this could be wish-casting but something to track.

Doesn't the nam have a tendency to over amplify storms?

Lol! I'm pretty sure everyone knew that it was going to be warm til Monday or Tuesday ! No big shocker there! Now if you show that next Thursday or Friday, for the 3 or 4 days after, then it's cliff time!

LOL...like this?  Same old same old, storm cuts, we warm, we cool down for a couple of days after and then rinse/lather/repeat.  That warmup lasts through the 19th and then we cool down some....bask in the warmth, rain, cold, warmth, rain, cold...LOL 

Day 11+ could give us a chance... :axe:  :bag:

Archived