Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say if the GFS had some kind of model support from somewhere, anywhere, I'd say ok maybe there's a chance. But I can't find any model, JMA, NOGAPS, Canadian, nothing that supports an phased system. It's by itself (maybe UKIE? Don't have access). For that reason.....I'm out. Shark tank FTL!!

GFS, it's ensembles, GFS Para, Ukie, Euro ensembles and EPS for the most part are in the same camp.

I'd say if the GFS had some kind of model support from somewhere, anywhere, I'd say ok maybe there's a chance. But I can't find any model, JMA, NOGAPS, Canadian, nothing that supports an phased system. It's by itself (maybe UKIE? Don't have access). For that reason.....I'm out. Shark tank FTL!!

I guess I would say that the solutions that don't have a storm vs those that do are separated by small differences that could realistically be resolved over the next 84-96 hours or so.

when will the wave finally be onshore and properly sampled i wonder? 18z tomorrow?

Don't know for sure. That sounds reasonable. I don't know if it is a certainty that it will matter, but we've seen this scenario numerous times.... A storm shows up, disappears and then reappears within a short time frame.

Don't know for sure. That sounds reasonable. I don't know if it is a certainty that it will matter, but we've seen this scenario numerous times.... A storm shows up, disappears and then reappears within a short time frame.

i remember the xmas storm a few years back...the models lost it and then when the sw got over the conus it brought it back.  i guess we will see.

i remember the xmas storm a few years back...the models lost it and then when the sw got over the conus it brought it back. i guess we will see.

that one came back about 18 hours before the storm hit. Gfs was the only one to catch on until the ruc came into range. I remember the nws was tossing the gfs.

Yep, that's exactly what happened. Those threads are fun to read through.

Yeah, that was a great series of threads. I remember you started the thread close to a week out with your guarantee, then it was a roller coaster from there until zero hour!

I like reading some of the old threads from time to time. I need to give this past February's storm a read soon.

Yeah, that was a great series of threads. I remember you started the thread close to a week out with your guarantee, then it was a roller coaster from there until zero hour!

I like reading some of the old threads from time to time. I need to give this past February's storm a read soon.

Yeah, they're fun to read....especially when there's nothing going on. I really liked that setup. I need to go back and read the Feb one too.

What is amazing to me is how steady state the GFS had been in regards to showing a system where the EURO squashes it. Considering the fact that the GFS is generally a northern stream dominant model guidance and usually in its bias mode, would suppress the crap out of it.

I also saw a question about when the GFS can lead the way. Well it did on Nov 2006 when an upper level low cut off offshore and produced a little snow in SC, and GA and flurries fell in N Fl. Sniffed it out 5 days out and never wavered when everything else played catch up.

Archived