• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

Well, just got word I am officially moving the first week in Feb. I'm hoping you guys have a rocking Feb in the Southeast! Already sucks I won't even be in town this Sunday. Gonna miss being around when the snow is actually falling.

Just keep us up to date on the weather across the pond!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, just got word I am officially moving the first week in Feb. I'm hoping you guys have a rocking Feb in the Southeast! Already sucks I won't even be in town this Sunday. Gonna miss being around when the snow is actually falling. 

You'll love the cooler summers. I lived in Germany for a couple of years (Air Force) and 80s are considered hot.

You'll love the cooler summers. I lived in Germany for a couple of years (Air Force) and 80s are considered hot.

Yea the one thing about the weather (outside of the wind) is that it stays fairly consistent during the seasons. I think I will miss those brutally hot days for jumping in a swimming pool though. I always found it hard to swim when it's only 80 degrees outside. 

What did the models show last night for upstate sc

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Pain, disillusionment, and despair. 

Ha really, the GFS is still showing a weak deform zone over the upstate with suspect atl moisture flux due to coastal conv. Sfc and bl temps still a little too warm, but some --sn/-sn possible,    

Can someone tell me how it's going to be cold enough for snow outside of the foothills/mountains?  I know "ignore model temps this far out" is popular, but other than hanging our hats on that, is there anything that is realistic that can happen to allow the surface to cool enough to overcome light precip rates, assuming the rates are in fact light?

good post, I concur.

Here are the factors I can come up with:

1) The Lakes low moves out quicker or turns out not to be there (but this has been a pretty steadfast feature, so I'm not sure how realistic that is), allowing high pressure to build in faster.

2) The models are way off on projected temps and dew points.  But none of them really look cold enough to me.  Are they all wrong?

3) A phase with the northern energy (this also is not shown anywhere and doesn't look likely).

4) The low bombs (again, not shown and doesn't look likely).  In this scenario, without good cold advection present, the bombing low wouldn't really be drawing cold air in at the surface anyway.

5) Precip rates could be heavy enough to cool the column to at or just above freezing to support snow or a rain/snow mix.  I guess this could happen.

Is there any realistic mechanism that could be present to get temps colder than what we're staring at right now?

Good post I concur.

I just gotta put this out there:

I do not like the new negative Cold_Rain / Rain_cold! He's always trying to put salt in everybody's snow game and drinking haterade!

Bring back the old CR! :)

The new one is whack!

Just trying to keep you from getting your hopes up too much.  I don't want you and Brick to have a complete meltdown and not even make it to Fab Feb!

The UKmet looks tasty, ptype nonograms on the GFS are measurable SN with RN on the GFS, better then indeterminate I guess .

This would be very tasty for your area on day 12:

6z GFS

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2016&model_mm=01&model_dd=13&model_init_hh=06&fhour=288&parameter=SNOWIN&level=SURFACE&unit=none&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Just trying to keep you from getting your hopes up too much.  I don't want you and Brick to have a complete meltdown and not even make it to Fab Feb!

people should know better than to say "dont worry about temps!" especially down here....i have been burned so many times even when models showed temps plenty cold enough for snow.  my mindset going into it is give me a lp system with a decent track and ill expect mixing.  any snow falling or accums is icing on the cake.

people should know better than to say "dont worry about temps!" especially down here....i have been burned so many times even when models showed temps plenty cold enough for snow.  my mindset going into it is give me a lp system with a decent track and ill expect mixing.  any snow falling or accums is icing on the cake.

That's a good perspective!

would love to see snow falling at the panthers game sunday.  has it every snowed during a panthers game before i wonder?

I was at the regular season Panthers vs. Rams game (greatest show on turf) in early Dec 2000.  Under a winter storm warning for snow and didn't see a flake - infamous bust storm that hit E NC

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20001203/

You guys just need to take one for the team and let me have this storm. ;)

You guys are way too borderline and I'll be jusssst cold enough to see snow.

Let me set the table for the next event. I'll even share with Frosty and maybe even James. :)

Keeping an eye on it. May head to the Va farm for this one. Chris ,You in?

Archived