Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nam at 84 hours as no strength. It's not "model bashing" it's common sense.

Anyways It doesn't look too far off from the gfs.

I never said 84 hours. I was talking about the entire run. Its trended further from trough ULL interaction, which wont be good if you want cold air. Well see what the 0z does, but i'm not getting my hopes up. 

FWIW the 60 hour 4km NAM has a 992 low in the Gulf for the system on Friday. The 12km has a 1006 broad low at the same time. A BIG difference in strength and I'm assuming the 4km version phases the two pieces of energy better. The reason this is important is the stronger this storm is the better it will set us up for the cold air with whatever we see Saturday night into Sunday.

nam4km_ref_seus_20.png

FWIW the 60 hour 4km NAM has a 992 low in the Gulf for the system on Friday. The 12km has a 1006 broad low at the same time. A BIG difference in strength and I'm assuming the 4km version phases the two pieces of energy better. The reason this is important is the stronger this storm is the better it will set us up for the cold air with whatever we see Saturday night into Sunday.

Nice... So ready to actually be in NAM range for a storm. The weenie in me so wants to say "GAME ON!", but plenty of time to hit a whammy.

Curious to know why your even looking at NAM it's only making us all depressed.

Let's go January! It's been more than a few years since one inch of snow. According to our local met Ed Piatrowski we are in the odds for it lol. Just not in the next 7 days. We average 1 inch snow once every 4 years and it's our best average month.

Interesting. Myrtle Beach is about the same latitude as Atlanta and it snows way more than that in Atlanta. I guess the elevation helps.

Curious to know why your even looking at NAM it's only making us all depressed.

The system this Thursday/Friday is critical for the storm Saturday into Sunday. A stronger system this Thursday and Friday will pull the cold air in quicker across the area and set up better blocking vs a weaker system which would result in warmer conditions for the Saturday/Sunday system.

Over 76 years in Myrtle Beach, we've had 4 snowfalls ≥ 6" and only 1 snowfall ≥ 12". No one who was here will ever forget the great Christmas snow of 1989 when 14" fell in Myrtle Beach. On average we get a 1" snow every 4 years, a 3" snow every 8 years, a 6" snow every 19 years and a 12" snow every 75 years.

Over 76 years in Myrtle Beach, we've had 4 snowfalls ≥ 6" and only 1 snowfall ≥ 12". No one who was here will ever forget the great Christmas snow of 1989 when 14" fell in Myrtle Beach. On average we get a 1" snow every 4 years, a 3" snow every 8 years, a 6" snow every 19 years and a 12" snow every 75 years.

Heck, Myrtle Beach gets a 6" snow more often than Atlanta. 33 years and counting for the ATL and I don't think ATL has ever had a 12" snow.

And the canadian i think would be cold enough for many to see Wintry weather, even at 2m.

I'm surprised at the lack of qpf on the CMC given the 500mb setup but it's good to at least see it take a step towards the GFS in the upper levels. Now just need to wait for the Euro to speak.

meh, gefs got even a bit warmer for the main stuff. wetter..track wanted to go over land at one point, idk. the idea of a systerm coming from the gulf is obvious... i'd assume more euro ens get on board if not the op with something. canadian tried.. and it was much colder for everyone..

so basically we have moisture down here in cae, but lack the cold.  as usual.

meh, gefs got even a bit warmer for the main stuff. wetter..track wanted to go over land at one point, idk. the idea of a systerm coming from the gulf is obvious... i'd assume more euro ens get on board if not the op with something. canadian tried.. and it was much colder for everyone..

so basically we have moisture down here in cae, but lack the cold.  as usual.

It's a thread the needle situation for sure and I don't know if the cold will make it down that far or not, or even here in NC. It all depends on how the storm this Thursday and Friday sets up. The quicker and stronger that is the better for snow chances with our Saturday/Sunday threat. It's becoming clearer that we will have a storm and I think Euro will show that or shift that direction tonight. The questions now are track, qpf and temps as always here in the SE.

It's a thread the needle situation for sure and I don't know if the cold will make it down that far or not, or even here in NC. It all depends on how the storm this Thursday and Friday sets up. The quicker and stronger that is the better for snow chances with our Saturday/Sunday threat. It's becoming clearer that we will have a storm and I think Euro will show that or shift that direction tonight. The questions now are track, qpf and temps as always here in the SE.

im just not feeling it this far south at all.  from Rock Hill, SC North and NW SC, better position.  Stranger things have happened...

and I am pretty sure this is the storm the euro had a few days ago giving 3 inches or so and then a huge 9 incher behind it.  some of the ensemble members had 2+ inches here from the 12z OP.  so that gives me a slight tad bit of hope to at least end/see some fall.

Archived