Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

before it happens if it does......about 10 days ago another site put out the claim that the second and third weeks of this month would be much colder in the east with a chance of snow in the south......Spann used his work as an example of irresponsible posting on social media....BUT it is clear the first part the cold has verified and indeed it appears the chance of snow soon in the south is very real at this time.......

Doesn't matter what you call it, when it's a 35 degree rain! :(

For RDU at least it looks good for some snow and I'm not worried about surface temps. At this range it's better to look at 850s and if the moisture is there the cold air mix down to the surface quickly. For example the clipper snows on 1/4 here in NC, we had a heavy burst of snow for 5 minutes and my temp dropped from 38 to 33 quickly. The 850 temps were much colder which allowed things to mix down. Let's see what the Euro has to say.

For RDU at least it looks good for some snow and I'm not worried about surface temps. At this range it's better to look at 850s and if the moisture is there the cold air mix down to the surface quickly. For example the clipper snows on 1/4 here in NC, we had a heavy burst of snow for 5 minutes and my temp dropped from 38 to 33 quickly. The 850 temps were much colder which allowed things to mix down. Let's see what the Euro has to say.

warm noses scare me...with the soundings looking good at this point ill take it.  rates can overcome 400ft of above freezing temps.  

warm noses scare me...with the soundings looking good at this point ill take it. rates can overcome 400ft of above freezing temps.

I don't think it's a warm nose though. If you look at 925mb temp maps it doesn't indicate one present. I think it's more a matter of the cold air is filtering in and hasn't quite made it to the surface but the moisture would help speed that up especially with 850 temps so cold. That's the key to watch imo.

I don't think it's a warm nose though. If you look at 925mb temp maps it doesn't indicate one present. I think it's more a matter of the cold air is filtering in and hasn't quite made it to the surface but the moisture would help speed that up especially with 850 temps so cold. That's the key to watch imo.

no i agree with you, i meant normally with storms down here the warm nose screws us, in this case we just have to overcome a shallow layer of warm air above the sfc, which id much rather have than a warm nose

warm noses scare me...with the soundings looking good at this point ill take it.  rates can overcome 400ft of above freezing temps.  

Yeah warm noses are even bigger worry here lol, that said this setup as it stands now is really good for us, we do well when the cold is deep and we only have to overcome shallow warm layers at the boundry.....its much scarier when it starts as rain and the 850 is around 0C...the cold is here for this one the 540 is pinned on the coast this would be a pretty decent little shot of snow 1-3" for a lot of NC if it pans out.....the only way we see a warm nose scare is if this thing trends A LOT stronger with the coastal low really deeping and tracking up along the coast....if that happen guys way inland will love it, me not so much.

Hate to ask a serious question in banter, but if the low is supressed, isn't it being supressed by a cold, strong , high pressure? If it has precip more to the north, how is the cold air not there or very marginal?

It's more the surface temperatures that are marginal.  850s and such are pretty good.  Of course, with surface temps marginal, accumulations would be difficult to achieve depending on the rates of precipitation and the time of day.

Archived