Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That and the models don't do good in Ninos or with record cold stratospheres or when the powerball gets over a billion dollars or....

Maybe if the pfj could be forced south moreso or a if a sswe develops or perhaps the ridge to the west becomes dominant, there could be a better chance for srn stream cyclogenesis tracking favorably. We just need the models to stop clowning around and figure this stuff out. It's like they don't realize it's winter. Hate the models.

I was just informed by a real life acquaintance that they were on the Facebook website and saw that Columbia, SC was going to get a historic 12 inch snow storm by next weekend.  Once I informed them it's not real, I was unfriended and told that I am just a hater and should go back up North if I don't respect Bill's analysis because he was born and raised here.

What is wrong with people?

For those wondering, Bill raises chickens and thinks they have shown him signs by the length of their beaks.  Something about having longer beaks to peck through snow.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs around here. Weenie tags should be brought back.

This  :thumbsup:

I have not been able to load up Bufkit for the entire 10 days of January!  I think this Winter may be done for us in the I-20 area.  February never produces around these parts!

:cliff:

It's not over for 4-6 more weeks  :lol:   

I'm all for it as long as troll tags are also incorporated.

This  :thumbsup:

Maybe if the pfj could be forced south moreso or a if a sswe develops or perhaps the ridge to the west becomes dominant, there could be a better chance for srn stream cyclogenesis tracking favorably. We just need the models to stop clowning around and figure this stuff out. It's like they don't realize it's winter. Hate the models.

Exactly  :lol: 

Haha yeah! Stupid models.

I made the post below when the winter forecasts were rolling out.  If you change most instances of the word "forecast" to "post" and take the advice it will go a long way toward ending some of the conflicts we have been dealing with the past few days.

Thanks

I would like to make a request. As the winter forecasts roll out, it would be nice to not have every forecast that doesn't predict above normal snowfall be demonized as, "bailing on winter", "cliff jumping", "throwing in the towel" etc.  Such comments add nothing and sometimes start a back and forth exchange that we would be better off without.  Any long range forecast is a mix of the knowledge of the forecaster, an ability to use that knowledge in developing an extended forecast and luck.  In the SE, a seasonal snow forecast relies much more on luck than in other areas.  

When you read a forecast, it is up to you to decide on the qualifications and reputation of the forecaster and how much credence you feel the forecast deserves.  It is not necessary to attempt to belittle anyone's efforts.  Doing so will have zero effect on our snowfall.

Thanks.

I don't think the biggest problem is the public being able to view the maps.  I think its a problem that people who have no idea what they are looking at do and then show them off all over the place to the even less informed.

I think there should be a background check.

I made the post below when the winter forecasts were rolling out.  If you change most instances of the word "forecast" to "post" and take the advice it will go a long way toward ending some of the conflicts we have been dealing with the past few days.

Thanks

I would like to make a request. As the winter forecasts roll out, it would be nice to not have every forecast that doesn't predict above normal snowfall be demonized as, "bailing on winter", "cliff jumping", "throwing in the towel" etc.  Such comments add nothing and sometimes start a back and forth exchange that we would be better off without.  Any long range forecast is a mix of the knowledge of the forecaster, an ability to use that knowledge in developing an extended forecast and luck.  In the SE, a seasonal snow forecast relies much more on luck than in other areas.  

When you read a forecast, it is up to you to decide on the qualifications and reputation of the forecaster and how much credence you feel the forecast deserves.  It is not necessary to attempt to belittle anyone's efforts.  Doing so will have zero effect on our snowfall.

Thanks.

I moved this here so nobody gets confused with the banter threads ;)    This is some good advice peeps....I suggest taking it   ;)

I'd like to take responsibility for the sudden change in the models and for the block not setting up as originally thought.  I usually purchase my model suite around November. This year I wasn't sure I was going to purchase it but broke down on Friday night.  Well the models have gone to s**t since then.  So it's my fault.  Sorry everyone!

I'd like to take responsibility for the sudden change in the models and for the block not setting up as originally thought.  I usually purchase my model suite around November. This year I wasn't sure I was going to purchase it but broke down on Friday night.  Well the models have gone to s**t since then.  So it's my fault.  Sorry everyone!

Gee, thanks a lot!  :) lol

So tired of all these weather authorities these days.. posting single model runs.... they're making ad-revenue off people who don't know better. They're making the NWS employee lives hard. It's sad that mainstream media is just as guilty too.

There are people out there making their own weather models they run from their homes and output data from that isn't anywhere correct.  Thankfully most of that stuff is on the conspiracy websites and all though.

And to the GFS sucks part... if it initialized better... it verifies awesome.  Give it the Euro initialization parameters and it does fine, sometimes even better than the Euro.  As you go out in time, errors compound into a  big mess the later you go.

Basically if the GFS was total garbage (which it has scored MANY times over other guidance), it wouldn't still have money and time poured into it to make it better.

At least on here we don't have to deal with the, How much am I gonna get in my backyard question on here like on FB and other places. It's fun to see the ebb and flow on here with all the knowledge and how everyone can see the same run and come to different conclusions. 

At least on here we don't have to deal with the, How much am I gonna get in my backyard question on here like on FB and other places. It's fun to see the ebb and flow on here with all the knowledge and how everyone can see the same run and come to different conclusions. 

It comes with pending Winter storms.  In fact, it can get really bad and annoying.  The mods have to work overtime to deal with the influx of people asking backyard questions.  Some of us try to help, but since they (the question askers) are rarely if ever around here, they don't get the idea of just reading and putting two and two together.

It comes with pending Winter storms.  In fact, it can get really bad and annoying.  The mods have to work overtime to deal with the influx of people asking backyard questions.  Some of us try to help, but since they (the question askers) are rarely if ever around here, they don't get the idea of just reading and putting two and two together.

In the old forum and when the new first started it seemed a lot worse than it has been the past couple of years. Or I just keep scrolling when I see them :)

In the old forum and when the new first started it seemed a lot worse than it has been the past couple of years. Or I just keep scrolling when I see them :)

I miss the main-side model threads, before the advent of regional subs, everyone packed together in a single thread digesting the Xz run. Seems like where people get there information has changed over the years.  I to this day do not have a twitter account, and 86'd facebook about a year ago and never looked back.

I had that shared in my feed too. I countered with this image that I posted to my page with the same "don't take one run of a model showing something 10 days out" line I give every winter.

post-593-0-99340700-1452478846_thumb.png

But I feel like I'm wasting my time because, "Boooo, it doesn't show snow!".

I miss the main-side model threads, before the advent of regional subs, everyone packed together in a single thread digesting the Xz run. Seems like where people get there information has changed over the years.  I to this day do not have a twitter account, and 86'd facebook about a year ago and never looked back.

Those were the days I could read and wouldn't understand anything in some post! I've come along way since then thanks to a lot of people on here, but still am not one of the posters who can post anything that isn't obvious already to those who come here. I do love my twitter and like to read Allan Huffman's post and Ryan Maue too. I also like seeing Matthew East and WxSouth. Of course all of them used to post a lot in here in the past, but times change. 

Archived