Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 2016 Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point forecast here has it falling to the mid 30s right after sunset, then toward the upper 30s around sunrise and then a slow fall throughout the day. Chance of fog tonight.

Scratch the mid 30s, it's already down to 32°. Boundary layer must have decoupled. Probably lost an inch of snow due to compaction.

Interesting tidbit....DTW had 1.0"+ snowfall on 4 consecutive days (Jan 10-13). While there have been many times of 3 (& obviously countless times of 2) consecutive days of 1"+, the list of 4+ consecutive days is short.

5 days (Feb 10-14, 1985)

4 days (Jan 10-13, 2016)

4 days (Feb 26 - Mar 1, 1913)

4 days (Mar 15-18, 1900)

4 days (Dec 4-7, 1898)

4 days (Jan 10-13, 1895)

Side note...the most consecutive measurable snowfall of any kind is 11 consecutive days.

Bounced up to 39° after being at 28°. Low dewpoint helping to keep the snow from melting very much outside tonight. Nice crust formed over the snow earlier tonight. Little melting on the edges and some drips off the roofs. Fog development taking off just to the north.

Wind chill warning for the Twin Cities

--

FOR SUNDAY AFTERNOON INTO MONDAY MORNING...WIND CHILL VALUES AREEXPECTED TO REMAIN BETWEEN 25 AND 35 DEGREES BELOW ZERO. AS ARESULT...A WIND CHILL ADVISORY HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR ALL OF CENTRALAND SOUTHERN MINNESOTA AND WEST CENTRAL WISCONSIN

Anyone know what's happening in very localized spots in Indy? Reflectivites on the tower radar but cam network don't show anything falling...just more of a mist/fog.

KEYE keeps going up and down with vis and reporting light snow.Cam just east of that airport coincides with it (not posted), but go north, south, east, and west around it and nada. Everywhere else though in the metro outside of them, visibility perfectly fine. Never seen anything like it.

post-9628-0-89421000-1452977276_thumb.gi

post-9628-0-65215300-1452977277_thumb.jp

post-9628-0-94856800-1452977277_thumb.jp

post-9628-0-32842200-1452977278_thumb.jp

Wondering if the arctic temps are going to verify IMBY tomorrow. Holding steady at sunset with 24° and cloud cover moving in.

I agree.  Without an ounce of snow on the ground and full sun, I'm thinking temps will rise a bit more than forecast.  Not much, but maybe a few degrees anyway.  Either way it's going to be ridiculously cold out there lol.  Good day to vegetate inside and watch some football.

I agree.  Without an ounce of snow on the ground and full sun, I'm thinking temps will rise a bit more than forecast.  Not much, but maybe a few degrees anyway.  Either way it's going to be ridiculously cold out there lol.  Good day to vegetate inside and watch some football.

You don't have any snow at all? Wow, that bites.

Just saw a few flakes flying as I took the trash out a little bit ago.  Temp at 5 above.

If we fail to get an inch out of the Tue-Wed system we may very well go into Feb without a 1"+ snow event for met winter.  Pretty unusual and quite depressing from an enthusiast standpoint.  Like I've mentioned before, if it  weren't for the Nov 21 event this winter has been a complete abortion for snowfall in these parts.

Just saw a few flakes flying as I took the trash out a little bit ago. Temp at 5 above.

If we fail to get an inch out of the Tue-Wed system we may very well go into Feb without a 1"+ snow event for met winter. Pretty unusual and quite depressing from an enthusiast standpoint. Like I've mentioned before, if it weren't for the Nov 21 event this winter has been a complete abortion for snowfall in these parts.

The last time winter was this miserable, we had Morch; which was spectacular (minus the agricultural impacts). So we can at least look forward to that, as unless we reel in a GHD part three style big dog, this winter will be one to forget.

Sitting at 1 above.

The last time winter was this miserable, we had Morch; which was spectacular (minus the agricultural impacts). So we can at least look forward to that, as unless we reel in a GHD part three style big dog, this winter will be one to forget.

Sitting at 1 above.

I could go for another Morch.  We've had a few very late spring seasons in a row, with late arriving tree leaf-outs.  We're due for an early spring. 

I could go for another Morch. We've had a few very late spring seasons in a row, with late arriving tree leaf-outs. We're due for an early spring.

Amen cyclone. The springs of 13-15' have been cold and snowy and very wet. The damage has been done on this clunker winter, I didn't realize you guys were so snow deprived up there too. Ready to claim defeat, and move on to severe season and a nice warm spring (2010,2012) repeat.

Archived