Harmonie
    Newest Member
    Harmonie
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time we had a really warm November like this one could be was November 1985. Winter weather was no where to be found that winter. Neither was much rain for that matter. That spring and summer turned into a true disaster with a drought we haven't equaled since. South Carolina made the national news that summer because hay had to be brought in from the midwest to keep livestock from starving.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but DT recently stated the el nino could be a modiki style one which would be great for winter weather. I'm assuming that is based on the sudden decrease in water temps for 1.2? If the PDO holds strong this winter will be nothing like '98.

The last time we had a really warm November like this one could be was November 1985. Winter weather was no where to be found that winter. Neither was much rain for that matter. That spring and summer turned into a true disaster with a drought we haven't equaled since. South Carolina made the national news that summer because hay had to be brought in from the midwest to keep livestock from starving.

There was no drought worse than 1993 summer

These were all the mod+ nino's (post 1950) that were warm in Nov and all were very snowy in the winter, atleast here in NC and I assume in GSP too.

post-2311-0-38454800-1445892174_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-22353200-1445892186_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-50510400-1445892190_thumb.pn

Not sure if anyone noticed, but DT recently stated the el nino could be a modiki style one which would be great for winter weather. I'm assuming that is based on the sudden decrease in water temps for 1.2? If the PDO holds strong this winter will be nothing like '98.

Don't think it will become a Modoki. The waters will still be warm near the SA coast.The natural decay of the El Nino favors it becoming more central-west based with time though.

Don't think it will become a Modoki. The waters will still be warm near the SA coast.The natural decay of the El Nino favors it becoming more central-west based with time though.

Ok. Even being central-west based would more than likely be a better outcome than east based I would imagine. Still a lot to watch with water temps.

Ok. Even being central-west based would more than likely be a better outcome than east based I would imagine. Still a lot to watch with water temps.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why you get a better chance for 'winter' later in the season.

These were all the mod+ nino's (post 1950) that were warm in Nov and all were very snowy in the winter, atleast here in NC and I assume in GSP too.

Yeah most of them did feature nice winters so we do want a mild November, but not a very warm one. If I remember right, Nov of 1985 had many days with temps here of 75-80+ and I can't remember another Nov quite like it.

Yeah most of them did feature nice winters so we do want a mild November, but not a very warm one. If I remember right, Nov of 1985 had many days with temps here of 75-80+ and I can't remember another Nov quite like it.

This warm November stat he was referring to only applies to + Enso's. That doesn't mean all winters with warm Novembers will be snowy. It is only the ones with moderate to strong El Ninos,... which is exactly what we are looking at this winter season.

Well its time to start the focus on the ne pacific. How it sets up and evolves over the next 4 weeks is going to tell us alot about how winter or the first half is gonna play out in the SE. Yes negative nao's are nice but they aren't going to help you sustain a 90 day climo avg that's seasonal or below normal temp wise. Usually if not when a negative nao locks in its the second half of winter when you begin the fight against climo, sun angles and all that jazz. So watch the pna. We know the southern jet is gonna produce this winter, it's a matter of how the split flow sets up. Could be a winter to remeber or a pac origin air deluge that leaves us all misearable Stay tuned!

I knew I could come here and read some spin about how this will be a cold winter after all. Not disappointed!

Dec-Mar temperature outcome in Charlotte for the top 10 strongest El Ninos (the numbers account for the 30yr avg for the applicable timeframe - e.g. for 1941, the temperature anomaly is against the 30yr avg of 1910-1940)...

1878: -1.1 (this one is actually for AVL against its 30yr avg, as I don't have CLT numbers for this year).

1998: +3.2

1889: -0.3

1983: +0.7

1941: -1.6

1973: +0.1

1903: +1.9

1897: -0.3

1958: -4.8

1966: -2.4

So, 2 warm, 4 cool, 4 near norm

Dec-Mar temperature outcome in Charlotte for the top 10 strongest El Ninos (the numbers account for the 30yr avg for the applicable timeframe - e.g. for 1941, the temperature anomaly is against the 30yr avg of 1910-1940)...

1878: -1.1 (this one is actually for AVL against its 30yr avg, as I don't have CLT numbers for this year).

1998: +3.2

1889: -0.3

1983: +0.7

1941: -1.6

1973: +0.1

1903: +1.9

1897: -0.3

1958: -4.8

1966: -2.4

So, 2 warm, 4 cool, 4 near norm

I missed 1903, what an ugly winter, ++AO. Bucks the warm Nov and snowy winter too. Other 2 clunkers are 41 and 98. So 7 snowy and 3 duds, not bad.

Siberia snow cover continues to look good. This of course going with the theory that October snow cover extent, and the monthly amount of increase, favor a negative AO for the winter......which didn't work out last year but we're still giving it a chance. 

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_gif/DATA/cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Archived