Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
May Banter

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buckeye, I have the perfect solution for you.  Start watching around 3:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3C8VI5InJY

Here was a persistent squirrel that was somehow able to beat this same squirrel proof feeder! This is amazing (bonus British Open golf commentary in the background for the TV golf fans (I LOVE TV golf)):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PBya--psxI

Here was a persistent squirrel that was somehow able to beat this same squirrel proof feeder! This is amazing (bonus British Open golf commentary in the background for the TV golf fans (I LOVE TV golf)):

Nice. I bet that dude was dizzy when he finally let go!

Nice. I bet that dude was dizzy when he finally let go!

Bigtime dizzy I'd think. Also, note what was said in the caption: "The feeder was spinning so violently, that it was throwing seed sunflower kernels on the ground where the other squirrel was getting a good meal."

So, the squirrel on the ground had it made and may have actually gotten more food. Also, note that when the feeder squirrel finally came down, the one who had been on the ground looked to be chasing the other one away initially twice as if to say how dare you barge in on my food, the food that the other one provided via spinning. How ungrateful! ;)

I'm considering an airsoft gun atm...  The last thing I want to deal with is dead squirrel removal, so CO2 pellet guns are not my first choice and shooting them with a small caliber gun in the city limits would land me in jail.

I don't want them dead....just not to destroy the bird feeder and my potted plants...I know....good luck with that   :P

Grease the pole! That will slow them down, but have to re-apply periodically !

Grease will kill them   :(

Another option to consider, which is entertaining and doesn't hurt them:

attachicon.gifhorse_head_squirrel_feeder.jpg

See one in action here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvGnOEroKks

:lol:  My Granddaughter would love that

Buckeye, I have the perfect solution for you.  Start watching around 3:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3C8VI5InJY

That is perfect!!   They are around $50 at Lowes       :lol:   

HaHa my dad had one of those. We had a blast watching the acrobatics. We also ran the electric fence hot wire to one. That got their attention as well

The two stray kitty cats that have taken up residence here, chase the squirrels out of the yard, but unfortunately the squirrels outnumber the kittys 8 to 2   :angry:

I actually watched a show about squirrels on NatGeo or something, and they are very smart and can figure out pretty complex problems to get to food and was very fascinating to watch

They way they work as a team to destroy my yard is crazy   :lol:   

I meant bacon grease or crisco, they can't climb up the pole , it's too slippery, especially if it's round

They can not remove the grease on their coats by themselves. The grease (pam, crisco, etc. ) gets on their coats and once it's there, they can't "fluff up" their fur. So basically it acts like any other oil based substance and removes any insulation from the elements. ;)

They can not remove the grease on their coats by themselves. The grease (pam, crisco, etc. ) gets on their coats and once it's there, they can't "fluff up" their fur. So basically it acts like any other oil based substance and removes any insulation from the elements. ;)

Ok, did not know that! But it was fun to watch, haven't done it in years! The best feeders are the tube feeders with small perches, makes it hard for them to get a hold. Yankee Droll makes a tube feeder with steel perches and portholes, the squirrels can't chew into the tube and they have a lifetime guarantee ! They cost about 30$ though !

I don't want them dead....just not to destroy the bird feeder and my potted plants...I know....good luck with that :P

Grease will kill them :(

:lol: My Granddaughter would love that

That is perfect!! They are around $50 at Lowes :lol:

The two stray kitty cats that have taken up residence here, chase the squirrels out of the yard, but unfortunately the squirrels outnumber the kittys 8 to 2 :angry:

They way they work as a team to destroy my yard is crazy :lol:

Acrobatic little fookers.... Yes he's hanging upside down from a tree limb to eat the bird food.....

post-2727-0-32436900-1432866566_thumb.jp

Ok, did not know that! But it was fun to watch, haven't done it in years! The best feeders are the tube feeders with small perches, makes it hard for them to get a hold. Yankee Droll makes a tube feeder with steel perches and portholes, the squirrels can't chew into the tube and they have a lifetime guarantee ! They cost about 30$ though !

I've got a feeder with a wire cage around it that cost about $30. When the squirrel hangs upside down on it, his weight is supposed to bring the cage down and block off the feeding holes. The little ba*tards figured out how to remove the leaf that blocked the feeding hole   :angry:    

Acrobatic little fookers.... Yes he's hanging upside down from a tree limb to eat the bird food.....

:lol: That is exactly what I'm looking at when I look out the front door  :(  

I've got a feeder with a wire cage around it that cost about $30. When the squirrel hangs upside down on it, his weight is supposed to bring the cage down and block off the feeding holes. The little ba*tards figured out how to remove the leaf that blocked the feeding hole :angry:

:lol: That is exactly what I'm looking at when I look out the front door :(

I had one of the leaf ones, they learned how to bounce up and down , and swipe a few seeds out! :(

Can't wait for the east-based super nino to completely destroy our winter this year. :arrowhead:

Wait, this is a piggyback niño! Worlds apart from your run of the mill super niño ! I expect nothing but greatness from winter of 15/16! The expectations of last winter, will materialize this winter! That is my prediction, based on GaWx research of back to back ninos, squirrel activity, persimmon seeds, skunk apes, wooly worms and my great great grandpas arthritic knee!

Wait, this is a piggyback niño! Worlds apart from your run of the mill super niño ! I expect nothing but greatness from winter of 15/16! The expectations of last winter, will materialize this winter! That is my prediction, based on GaWx research of back to back ninos, squirrel activity, persimmon seeds, skunk apes, wooly worms and my great great grandpas arthritic knee!

Haha! I'll bet we're going to see a lot more warm calls this winter than last. Hopefully, Cohen goes warm.

I had to cancel my hiking trip this weekend because river gauges show crazy low levels in Pisgah, meaning no waterfalls :( Ill give it 2 weeks.

The mountains have been doing well with rain lately. The valley though is a different story. I have seen some recent photos and the waterfalls look pretty good imo. In fact Waynesville, NC got 2.5"+ of rain and was under a flash flood warning Wednesday night.

The mountains have been doing well with rain lately. The valley though is a different story. I have seen some recent photos and the waterfalls look pretty good imo. In fact Waynesville, NC got 2.5"+ of rain and was under a flash flood warning Wednesday night.

80%+ are below average. and river gauges are at 1ft. not worth it to see a trickle of water. lol

80%+ are below average. and river gauges are at 1ft. not worth it to see a trickle of water. lol

Lol not going to argue with you but just check instagram & you'll see all the major ones are still looking beautiful. Next couple of weeks might increase waterflow though. Met85 has gotten good rain in May but the field where I play softball hasn't seen significant rain since early May. Hope you enjoy when you do visit though. Downtown AVL is always hopping (pun intended lol) if that interests you. Have you ever been to Panthertown?

Lol not going to argue with you but just check instagram & you'll see all the major ones are still looking beautiful. Next couple of weeks might increase waterflow though. Met85 has gotten good rain in May but the field where I play softball hasn't seen significant rain since early May. Hope you enjoy when you do visit though. Downtown AVL is always hopping (pun intended lol) if that interests you. Have you ever been to Panthertown?

I lived in Asheville. The area I want to hike has a 2" 30 day deficiency in rainfall so the falls will hopefully be more active since heights will fall in the coming days :)  I usually don't do that far West, looks pretty cool tho! Any interesting things there? 

I lived in Asheville. The area I want to hike has a 2" 30 day deficiency in rainfall so the falls will hopefully be more active since heights will fall in the coming days :) I usually don't do that far West, looks pretty cool tho! Any interesting things there?

Yeah man you should try it out! I have lived here all my life and just discoved it a few years ago. 15+ waterfalls in a 6700 acre area so you can hike to 6-8 in a good days hike. Thats the only place I know around here where you can see that many without driving a bunch. It is just up the mountain past WCU. I have hiked an entire day there and only ran into 2-3 groups so it is very peaceful. You can also pitch a tent close to most waterfalls so it is cool to fall asleep/wake up hearing a waterfall. I highly recommend it!

I saw Norfolk & Western 611 on its way through this area a couple times earlier this morning (caught it at Browns Summit and NE of Reidsville).  I'll post the video when it's done uploading, for those that are into trains.  I hadn't ever seen a steam locomotive on a mainline before in person, so it was cool!  I'm not a huge fan of the look of streamlined steam locomotives, but it was still very neat.

It's the first time it has run since 1994 (it was initially retired in 1959, but it was brought back out for excursion service from the early 1980s until 1994), but it was brought back out of service as part of Norfolk Southern's new "21st Century Steam" program after being refurbished at Spencer Shops near Salisbury, NC (where the NC Transportation Museum is).

EDIT: Here's the one from Browns Summit.

And here's the one from near Ruffin.

Yeah man you should try it out! I have lived here all my life and just discoved it a few years ago. 15+ waterfalls in a 6700 acre area so you can hike to 6-8 in a good days hike. Thats the only place I know around here where you can see that many without driving a bunch. It is just up the mountain past WCU. I have hiked an entire day there and only ran into 2-3 groups so it is very peaceful. You can also pitch a tent close to most waterfalls so it is cool to fall asleep/wake up hearing a waterfall. I highly recommend it!

Do you know the best waterfall that isn't so touristy?

Archived