• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Model discussion for May

Ginx snewx

Probably holds off until around sunset anyway - but we'll see. It wouldn't surprise me if it really trucked west.

Either way crappy weather as the winds shift by Saturday AM. 

They usually end up further S and W than modeled, so makes sense.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the models sort of wash out that backdoor and turn Saturday into a bit of a suckfest with S-SE flow and a pretty stout marine layer. While Friday should be great out here as wind shift and moisture advection gets cranking I see Saturday getting worse and worse. 

Dan Brown isn't buying it........http://www.westernmassnews.com/category/214961/7-day-forecast

Yeah but will my backyard backdoor? I'm sitting on the edge, hopefully it washes out and can't make it past the east slopes of the hills.

Hubby could be laying on beach chair in the driveway while soaking up rays and sipping on parrot bay while I'm stuck in graypril. 

Yeah as I said yesterday ... a lot of graphics had that boundary hung up Essex to Plymouth and not moving W...  

riiiiight.   

I'm on the fence with Saturday though.  I don't think that whole day is a loss... If the boundary in question is shallow...there won't be a whole production of having to turn the gradient around in pain staking fashion, such that we warm sector at sunset and the whole day was successfully stolen...  That's usually more for larger synoptically driven BD.

This is a weak front with a cold assist by very cold SST still lurking...  It may come in harsh for eastern/NE zones, but 52 at Cape Ann is probably 76 at HFD type deal.. I think Saturday dawns calm out that way with wind tending to wobble flags from the SW as gossamer strata burns off.   

Even in the E I bet it all turns right back around by 2 or 3....  

Just looking at the NAM...

That's a classic SNE butt-bang for warm weather.  Could see one of those sinuous rad echoes side-winding its way SW during the morning hours tomorrow.  There is likely to be a fog bank and/or strata piling into NE zone ...particularly mid to late afternoon after the suns passed zenith, but the sun in the interior will offset for a while and burn that off until dark...

But that means business folks.  That's +7 C at 1000 mb at Logan come Saturday at 10 Z ...talking 45 F (brrr, comparatively), and given to the 95% + RH, it's probably solid low cloud and some mist.   In fact, temps tumbling through the 50s with ease over the coastal locales earlier tomorrow, while it's 86 at ALB! Even ALB juuust gets kissed by it during the overnight tomorrow night.  

But already, the wind is around to 210 during early afternoon Saturday at Logan, which means that places in the interior (ORH-ASH) would turn around pretty quickly that day.  I suspected this earlier, the question is ...does the mandatory extra 6 hours apply?  

In any event, what makes these BD things so weird is that if you look at the 500 mb height evolution through late Saturday, the boundary actually wends its way up under the ridge core... It seems it can do that physically, which is what makes this part of the geography so interesting. It's like the atmosphere is split around the boundary pause, where above and below take on on disparate synoptic evolutions.  Because the mid levels would not by any stretch support any kind of boundary moving SW across the area; yet it will slice into the lower 200 or so MB of lower troposphere and create a whole different ball-park of sensible weather.   If you are in N shore at the seacoast later tomorrow afternoon, you're seeing your breath in sweat-shirts, geans and jackets, with seagull song cutting through the smell of cold salt.   Meanwhile ... Kevin's pretending the BD isn't that big of a deal because it hasn't gotten to his particular hill in Ct just yet.   

Just looking at the NAM...

That's a classic SNE butt-bang for warm weather. Could see one of those sinuous rad echoes side-winding its way SW during the morning hours tomorrow. There is likely to be a fog bank and/or strata piling into NE zone ...particularly mid to late afternoon after the suns passed zenith, but the sun in the interior will offset for a while and burn that off until dark...

But that means business folks. That's +7 C at 1000 mb at Logan come Saturday at 10 Z ...talking 45 F (brrr, comparatively), and given to the 95% + RH, it's probably solid low cloud and some mist. In fact, temps tumbling through the 50s with ease over the coastal locales earlier tomorrow, while it's 86 at ALB! Even ALB juuust gets kissed by it during the overnight tomorrow night.

But already, the wind is around to 210 during early afternoon Saturday at Logan, which means that places in the interior (ORH-ASH) would turn around pretty quickly that day. I suspected this earlier, the question is ...does the mandatory extra 6 hours apply?

In any event, what makes these BD things so weird is that if you look at the 500 mb height evolution through late Saturday, the boundary actually wends its way up under the ridge core... It seems it can do that physically, which is what makes this part of the geography so interesting. It's like the atmosphere is split around the boundary pause, where above and below take on on disparate synoptic evolutions. Because the mid levels would not by any stretch support any kind of boundary moving SW across the area; yet it will slice into the lower 200 or so MB of lower troposphere and create a whole different ball-park of sensible weather. If you are in N shore at the seacoast later tomorrow afternoon, you're seeing your breath in sweat-shirts, geans and jackets, with seagull song cutting through the smell of cold salt. Meanwhile ... Kevin's pretending the BD isn't that big of a deal because it hasn't gotten to his particular hill in Ct just yet.

He also downslopes on northeast winds which he'll never admit. However when the wind turns SSE Saturday, he'll upslope that marine layer right into his street.

He also downslopes on northeast winds which he'll never admit. However when the wind turns SSE Saturday, he'll upslope that marine layer right into his street.

Saturday might be warmest up in interior CNE with the wind direction being modeled SSE.

So you are saying Saturday is cool cloudy all day? Just want to make sure

I'm saying Saturday could be rather cloudy until maybe late day...actually looks worse where you are as thrust of warmer air just off the deck is more in CT. I don't think it will be that cool like in the 50s or anyhting.

I'm saying Saturday could be rather cloudy until maybe late day...actually looks worse where you are as thrust of warmer air just off the deck is more in CT. I don't think it will be that cool like in the 50s or anyhting.

Cloudy and 70s?

I don't think that pessimism for Saturday is really there, tho -

Like I said, it's S ...and only 5 to 10 kts at Logan by 2pm Saturday... With very low RH just above the boundary layer and very hot sun at this time of year, I suggest that the interior can warm back up in a hurry on Saturday.  

But no one asked... just saying. 

I think the bigger headline is a the push tomorrow -- if things break the way currently modeled... 

I don't think that pessimism for Saturday is really there, tho -

Like I said, it's S ...and only 5 to 10 kts at Logan by 2pm Saturday... With very low RH just above the boundary layer and very hot sun at this time of year, I suggest that the interior can warm back up in a hurry on Saturday.  

But no one asked... just saying. 

I think the bigger headline is a the push tomorrow -- if things break the way currently modeled... 

It could be something that burns off for sure.  But with pretty good dews trying to work in with waters in the U40s..may be stubborn in spots.

It could be something that burns off for sure.  But with pretty good dews trying to work in with waters in the U40s..may be stubborn in spots.

Especially closer to the coast... sure. 

Might be a late high scenario at Logan.  Those are kinda of interesting... It's struggling to get up to 60 through 5 pm, then...all at once, the wind veers and they spike to 84 at 6 or something

Uh-oh

1. @MJVentrice You wonder if the drought/dry conditions is going to start feeding back increasing temps in the east from now thru summer season

@TollandKev Great Point. Looks like we are moving into a dry pattern for the East with TX floods.

Uh-oh

1. @MJVentrice You wonder if the drought/dry conditions is going to start feeding back increasing temps in the east from now thru summer season

@TollandKev Great Point. Looks like we are moving into a dry pattern for the East with TX floods.

3.                  JoeBlow@  1 Everyone m1 minute ago

@MJVentrice Don't you know that numb-nut?  Why do you give him time??

4.                  Michael Ventrice ‏@MJVentrice  10s10 seconds agoStamford, CT

@Everyone Hmm, also a good point.  I got to stop eroding my cred by exposing my association to Connecticut hill people.

Archived