• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

Beautiful starry night out tonight which is so clear here that I can see the Milky Way faintly even with the moon being bright.  So glad it was cloudy last night instead of clear or else I would have stayed outside watching the aurora instead of inside getting to experience Apple TV freezing on me every 20 seconds or so.  I got far more sleep thanks to those clouds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/11/2024 at 8:39 PM, Go Kart Mozart said:

Aurora borealis
The icy sky at night
Paddles cut the water
In a long and hurried flight...

Who knows what this is....no Google...

No google for me:

Neal Young-great song

On 10/11/2024 at 6:22 AM, NoCORH4L said:

How come it never shimmers like on TV

It did down here during the May 10th event (G5 storming). I think it has to be intense enough to really start doing that. There were also dancing pillars that night as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

It did down here during the May 10th event (G5 storming). I think it has to be intense enough to really start doing that. There were also dancing pillars that night as well.

I don't remember the year, sometime in the early 2000's, I was in Craftsbury VT and we saw swirling, twisting, multi-color pillars with the shimmering in the background.  I was mesmerized.

• 100% 1

1 minute ago, MJOatleast7 said:

I remember a spectacular outbreak in Middlebury, VT, when I was a student there, I think it was in the winter of 1981-82. Looking straight up the curtains, they were tilted to the south about 15 degrees from overhead. Fast washes of color would rush down the curtains every couple of minutes and really gave them an electric feeling. I was a fan of Pat Metheny at the time and remember thinking his piece "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls", especially the harp glissandi, would go great as a soundtrack with the aurora.

10 hours ago, MJOatleast7 said:

I remember a spectacular outbreak in Middlebury, VT, when I was a student there, I think it was in the winter of 1981-82.

I saw them around this time too and they were amazing. It was in the middle of the night on a car trip to Maine on I-95 in Rowley MA.  I was in the passenger seat and it was just as you described, shimmering moving curtains of light.  haven't seen them since, I have a city to my north and the light pollution is really bad here, need to travel at least 30 minutes to get to really dark sky