BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know...I don't like bees in general unless they are honey bees. Nothing like walking barefoot on a daisy by accident and getting stung. It feels like you just shot your foot off.

ever come across a ground nest? i got literally chased out of the woods a few years ago when i disturbed a ground nest by trying to remove a rotted log from a trail. 6 to 10 thousand yellow jackets, lollis to 16 thousand. they actually got inside my shirt.

Fantastic bee talk today.... As an electrician I have developed an incredible hatred for Yellowjackets. I have learned the hard way many times over that they love to make nests in any outdoor electrical enclosure.... Outdoor plugs, lights mounted on the side of buildings, light poles, anything like that. I can honestly say that more than half of the boxes I open outside have Yellowjackets that come flying out. It's the best when you're on a ladder and find them.

Anyway, pretty much melted while working in an attic today. Definite first sign of summer for me.

i found a wasp nest many years ago when i was painting my parents house. i was up on the ladder painting around the attic vent at the peak of the roof. i was about 20 feet up on the ladder, made it down in about 0.3 seconds. of course the last 10 feet was sped up when i fell. disaster

looks like a dobson fly? Tough to tell with your pic quality

Body seems wide for a Dobsonfly.  My guess is giant water bug - those things can be nearly 3" long, plus they have strong mandibles and aren't afraid to use them.

Upper 50s this AM after yesterday's 82/33, so a low that's at least 20F AN following a high that was +20.

I'm usually in a good mood. I've also lost a few lbs and getting back to the gym more which helps. Forky doesn't like overweight guys.

i've been trying to do more sprinting/lifting. Kevin can keep his endurance running. I like shorts bursts that are a shock to the system.

benched 285 the other day, and ran 2 miles. Trying to get up to 5 miles at some point before the summer is over, but putting time into cardio has always been a struggle for me.

I'm about 190/195 now but my ideal weight is around 180 (@ 5'11).

Interval training is best for increasing endurance.   Run above medium speed for two minutes, then ...walk until your legs get back under your lungs, then another two minutes...rinse repeat.  But you have to run faster than just jogging speed. Eventually, you'll naturally fill the voids and start going longer before having to slow down to the walking intervals.  

i've been trying to do more sprinting/lifting. Kevin can keep his endurance running. I like shorts bursts that are a shock to the system.

Yeah shock and awe are what builds muscle. But switching it up to a bit of longer running can be good too. The body builds from changing routines and builds endurance from constant routines it seems.

benched 285 the other day, and ran 2 miles. Trying to get up to 5 miles at some point before the summer is over, but putting time into cardio has always been a struggle for me.

I'm about 190/195 now but my ideal weight is around 180 (@ 5'11).

That's pretty dam good for your weight.

That's pretty dam good for your weight.

thx. I'm typically within the 225-255 range for bench. Recently I've been working out with a friend, so it always helps having somebody there to spot and push you.

That said, I've definitely placed a ton of strain on my shoulders, so I'm going to start decreasing weight and upping the reps. Time to get more shredded for the summer anyhow. I'm not ready to give into the 'dadbod'

thx. I'm typically within the 225-255 range for bench. Recently I've been working out with a friend, so it always helps having somebody there to spot and push you.

That said, I've definitely placed a ton of strain on my shoulders, so I'm going to start decreasing weight and upping the reps. Time to get more shredded for the summer anyhow. I'm not ready to give into the 'dadbod'

LOL, Yeah I used to put up 315, but I'll be 36 in a few days so it's more about reps as you get older as well as cardio. I put a lot of stress on my body when I was younger from working out and doing labor. Never did anything shady though. Always kept it natural.

Some of it will go into the pond for the golf course irrigation, but for the most part it just cycles back into the environment, haha.  

Its interesting because I took the puppy down to the river out back this morning, and then we just went down again at 6pm, and the water level was up a solid half foot or more.  The sandbars I was using to stay out of the water while the puppy played earlier today, were now submerged.  And obviously not a drop of rain has fallen, so the daily rises are purely snowmelt from Mansfield.  It then backs off overnight as the snowmelt slows, but then it'll come up again in the afternoon/evening. 

Its pretty interesting, as the aerial coverage of snowpack is pretty small in the grand scheme of things, but its still enough to cause these diurnal rise and falls of the river that flows through town.  But I should go core a snowmaking trail... I'm sort of curious how much water that stuff holds.  Say there's 4 feet across a trail, that fell at sleet-like ratios, there's probably a foot of rain water tied up in those 4 feet of man-made snow.

You can see it on the river hydrographs. Runoff leads to a peak just after 00z, and as melt slows down overnight flow drops off just after 12z.

post-44-0-65008400-1430839139_thumb.jpeg

I'm usually in a good mood. I've also lost a few lbs and getting back to the gym more which helps. Forky doesn't like overweight guys.

Yup.  I dropped 40lbs as of last Fall.  Packed 10lbs back on this Winter.  I'm right in the range I need to be, just need to tone it up.  As soon as I get caught up with yard work it's back to the gym.  I was going religiously up until January when I tweaked my lower back squatting.  Going to have to change up my routine when I go back as I don't want to risk that again.

Archived