Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PF, do you guys reclaim that meltwater?

Some of it will go into the pond for the golf course irrigation, but for the most part it just cycles back into the environment, haha.  

Its interesting because I took the puppy down to the river out back this morning, and then we just went down again at 6pm, and the water level was up a solid half foot or more.  The sandbars I was using to stay out of the water while the puppy played earlier today, were now submerged.  And obviously not a drop of rain has fallen, so the daily rises are purely snowmelt from Mansfield.  It then backs off overnight as the snowmelt slows, but then it'll come up again in the afternoon/evening. 

Its pretty interesting, as the aerial coverage of snowpack is pretty small in the grand scheme of things, but its still enough to cause these diurnal rise and falls of the river that flows through town.  But I should go core a snowmaking trail... I'm sort of curious how much water that stuff holds.  Say there's 4 feet across a trail, that fell at sleet-like ratios, there's probably a foot of rain water tied up in those 4 feet of man-made snow.

Some of it will go into the pond for the golf course irrigation, but for the most part it just cycles back into the environment, haha.  

Its interesting because I took the puppy down to the river out back this morning, and then we just went down again at 6pm, and the water level was up a solid half foot or more.  The sandbars I was using to stay out of the water while the puppy played earlier today, were now submerged.  And obviously not a drop of rain has fallen, so the daily rises are purely snowmelt from Mansfield.  It then backs off overnight as the snowmelt slows, but then it'll come up again in the afternoon/evening. 

Its pretty interesting, as the aerial coverage of snowpack is pretty small in the grand scheme of things, but its still enough to cause these diurnal rise and falls of the river that flows through town.  But I should go core a snowmaking trail... I'm sort of curious how much water that stuff holds.  Say there's 4 feet across a trail, that fell at sleet-like ratios, there's probably a foot of rain water tied up in those 4 feet of man-made snow.

So where does this water come from when you make snow?

I figure some of that is kept and recycled? Sorry, I'm clueless with this stuff...but was curious.

Right nearby

#sNeburns

@TollandAlert: #TollandFire is responding to area of 303 Shenipsit Lake Rd for a reported brush fire. #CrystalLake Fire requested MA for their UTV.

Fires were the lead story on the 6pm news up here... sounds like a brush fire burned a couple structures in Charlotte, VT, and they had a couple big ones burning in the Adirondacks.

CHARLOTTE, Vt. -

There are reports of out-of-control brush fires in at least a half dozen communities Monday afternoon due to hot, dry, windy weather.

The National Weather Service issued a Red Flag Warning across northern New England meaning it is not safe to issue local burn permits.

Despite all the warnings a local landmark in Chittenden County fell victim to a neighbor's brush fire.

Several calls came into the Charlotte Fire Department just after noon Monday about a brush fire at the Mac Farm. While the department was busy helping to put that fire out, they noticed the Old Lantern next door was on fire.

And fire crews were busy around the state Monday with brush fires popping up throughout the day. Even the woods near the Rutland State fair were on fire.

Now the owner of the Old Lantern told us there are 60 weddings booked for the facility over the next year and her contractors were on-site Monday afternoon to assess the damage and fix it. It is unclear whether to folks who were burning the brush will be fined.

7658917_G.jpg

So where does this water come from when you make snow?

I figure some of that is kept and recycled? Sorry, I'm clueless with this stuff...but was curious.

It comes from a 100-million gallon snowmaking pond.  This winter Stowe used over 300 million gallons of water, but honestly I've never even heard of them entertaining the idea of running out of water.  Its just rain water, melt water, and natural spring water the flows off the mountain...it comes down and goes through a filtration to remove a bunch of the sediment caused by runoff around the ski resort, then if the pond needs some more water, its pumped in.  If not, the water just flows down through town, then passes J.Spin's house next to the Winooski River, and eventually flows past Eyewall in Winooski just before hitting Lake Champlain. 

The amount of water though that annually comes off Mansfield is incredible...just the spring water popping up through the cracks in the rocks is enough to keep the streams flowing even if it hasn't rained in weeks.  Then factor in that Mansfield gets the most precipitation in the state of Vermont on an annual basis, and its not hard to keep the pond filled. 

It comes from a 100-million gallon snowmaking pond.  This winter Stowe used over 300 million gallons of water, but honestly I've never even heard of them entertaining the idea of running out of water.  Its just rain water, melt water, and natural spring water the flows off the mountain...it comes down and goes through a filtration to remove a bunch of the sediment caused by runoff around the ski resort, then if the pond needs some more water, its pumped in.  If not, the water just flows down through town, then passes J.Spin's house next to the Winooski River, and eventually flows past Eyewall in Winooski just before hitting Lake Champlain. 

The amount of water though that annually comes off Mansfield is incredible...just the spring water popping up through the cracks in the rocks is enough to keep the streams flowing even if it hasn't rained in weeks.  Then factor in that Mansfield gets the most precipitation in the state of Vermont on an annual basis, and its not hard to keep the pond filled. 

Ahh ok. That answers my question then. 

Shelter dogs are the only way I've ever gone.

When the boy is a little older we're gonna' take a van down to Virginia and collect a few more Carolina Dogs from the kill shelters.

http://www.carolinadogs.com

awesome, we have since September fostered and successfully found permanent well vetted loving homes for 17 dogs rescued from 100% kill shelters.

Yeah.... Bay road is a nice ride in that area....

I bet that area is decent snow wise... I wouldn't mind living around there... Bet its crazy expensive though.

I'd imagine they do a good 5-10 inches better than TAN

It is. They avg probably close to 50". A lot of that area is over 200' and far enough inland to do fairly well. That is a good spot for interior SE MA.

Archived