Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
March 3-4th Winter Storm Potential

OntarioChaser

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually quite enjoyed this event. It happened during the morning rush, so I got to "enjoy" it and even though it was only a 2-3"-er, it all came down very quick and after a brief flip over to IP, it was encased in ice as the freezing rain moved in. I don't think we lose much snowpack tonight.

I actually quite enjoyed this event. It happened during the morning rush, so I got to "enjoy" it and even though it was only a 2-3"-er, it all came down very quick and after a brief flip over to IP, it was encased in ice as the freezing rain moved in. I don't think we lose much snowpack tonight.

We dont lose ANY tonight. Even though it has hit 35 now, the ice-covered snowpack isnt budging. A thick sheet of glass lays atop a deep snowpack, I honestly cant remember when it looked like this. Should look really neat tonight and again when the sun comes out. Havent thawed out my gauge but DTW got 0.26" of precip, 1.9" snow. About half the liquid was snow, half freezing rain. Season snowfall at 47.5" at DTW and 48.5" imby.

Snow depth is 13" with core about 2.3". This is the 30th consecutive day snow depth has been 10"+. This is by far the 2nd longest streak on record. The longest is 37 consecutive days set Jan-Mar 2014! Before that? The longest stretch was 18 days in Jan 1999.

Snow depth is 13" with core about 2.3". This is the 30th consecutive day snow depth has been 10"+. This is by far the 2nd longest streak on record. The longest is 37 consecutive days set Jan-Mar 2014! Before that? The longest stretch was 18 days in Jan 1999.

Our old climo sucked.

wtf...folks said the power flickered at their house around 7. It's FZDZ....and the winds aren't that strong.

According to Rousseau and other mets it's the combo of the salt in the air and the -FZDZ accretion on the transformers. 

More than 20 000 customers without power in the GTA.

3" in most locations. This was a horrible plow today snow was very very wet but its done!

I must say overall this was a unique weather day...we rarely get conditions like this. Even as the temp briefly rose to 37F this evening there was no melting on the ground (just dripping from above). The snowpack is absolutely encased in ice. What a cool sight! I included a pic from this mornings rush-hour snow thump too.

4339-800.jpg

4340-800.jpg

4341-800.jpg

4342-800.jpg

4343-800.jpg

We didn't get any freezing rain here... Looks like fresh snow.

Your snow is now vac-packed for freshness.

It has been years since I have seen this look. I can remember a few light glazes, but not like this. The ice crust is lierally a quarter inch thick, and the snowpack has barely budged. The snowman stick I have in the backyard was at 12.5" this morning before the snow started, peaked at 14.3" and is now at 13.8".

Archived