BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12Z GFS has on 2/16 an IP/ZR combo for ATL after maybe a little SN to start (more IP N/more ZR S best I can tell) from 0.75" qpf. It then gives ~1" of SN with the 2nd wave on 2/17. Reminds me of 2/2014. Would be a big deal.

The signal at the end is tricky, its a bit like 1/22/87 where ATL saw snow as a coastal went up the coast, it does not happen too often but it could here if the system turns the corner, right now I think it may end up to their NE

The 12Z GFS has on 2/16 an IP/ZR combo for ATL after maybe a little SN to start (more IP N/more ZR S best I can tell) from 0.75" qpf. It then gives ~1" of SN with the 2nd wave on 2/17. Reminds me of 2/2014. Would be a big deal.

IMHO there is growing concern for a BIG ZR event for the I-20 corridor.  Could be really NASTY

Good post by one of the well respected mets that posts in the mid Atlantic thread a ton (ers-wxman1): The NAM is as unpredictable as the most unpredictable model...especially at this range.

Big issue is going to be scarcity of data from the Baja region. Not many observations out there and it's tough to know the strength of the features and energy out that way sometimes until the system is getting its act together. I worked in the southwest for many years. Yes there is satellite sampling and all that but raobs and other data is sparse.

I'm becoming more concerned with a 33 and rain result for the ATL metro that i am a crippling storm.... JMO. That said KATL is sill on the fence concer in where it actually lands.

They may eventually go above 32 but by the time they do precip may be over, the fact the toaster bath new GFS only shows them 33-35 means it'll easily be 29-31.

I'm becoming more concerned with a 33 and rain result for the ATL metro that i am with a crippling storm.... JMO. That said KATL is sill on the fence concerning what we actually get.

I could see it going either way.  I think depending on timing when qpf comes in.  GFS has it in there btwn 7am and 1pm.  (or pretty close)

Thanks for the opine, please post more during our event. I sincerely hope you are right.

The 12Z MOS for ATL now has 37 at 18Z, the previous run had 42...it has a dewpoint of 10-15 too...this is easily frozen there verbatim as of now..it would initially start as sleet above 32 but they would likely wet bulb down quickly.

Well, I think where you are stands a better chance at the ice than the airport.

I agree that is a saving grace being NW of the city by 15 miles and N or the airport by 40. Ice accretion doesn't really start in full force until about 29-30, that's when I notice huge problems. Hopefully I can get that low during the event if I'm getting liquid from this beast.

FWIW, WxSouth posted on Twitter and Facebook that NAM is the way to go with this system.  He says global models notoriously struggle with Baja lows and the NAM has really good track record with these types of systems.  Says it's a very close call but that he is "risking it on the NAM."  Interesting.

If this is correct, it looks more like a major freezing rain event for a part of the I-20 corridor, as stated by Chris. The GGEM also puts down 1/2"+ of ZR in and around ATL.

NAM would be incredible as there is still much to come after the 84 hour mark.  Cut it in half and it is still quite a major storm. 

TW

The UKIE looks like 8"+ of presumably all-snow with more to come post-hr 72. :)

Looks like RDU is mostly-snow, but probably goes over to ZR/IP by hr 72.  2m temps are very cold.  Looks like at least mid-20s or maybe below for us.

I agree that is a saving grace being NW of the city by 15 miles and N or the airport by 40. Ice accretion doesn't really start in full force until about 29-30, that's when I notice huge problems. Hopefully I can get that low during the event if I'm getting liquid from this beast.

The likely too warm GFS even has near 32 in Marietta. Also, from my own experiences in the 4 major ZR's of the 2000's as well as looking back at older storms in newspapers/NWS records, ice can accrete quite well at 31 and even close to 32 as per the 3/1971 and 1/1973 ATL ZR's. Tony even confirmed this from his personal account of 73. Now roadwise, very little ice would likely occur at 31+ outside of raised roads.

Archived