• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

SREF plumes are out. Gso just over 5 inches.

KHKY mean is at 6.38 by the end of the run.

Lol, ok I guess statistically speaking it's very close... but from a weenie's eyes it's not close at all!

Just so as you see that.  :D   I'm tempering the rose-colored glasses of weenieism with cold hard statistical facts.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same thing we saw yesterday until 18z, honestly. 

yep. it's still not seeing the cooling right though. Temp here is 32/33 with dewpoint of 8 so temps here when precip starts...so should drop to 26 to 28. nam has it around 30. I'm really want to see a solution that handles this dry air/evaporation more correctly though. It's going to play such a huge role.

regardless, it now has freezing rain here through hour 72. models are trying to slowly come around..still several degrees too warm though imo.

NAM drops a quick 3 or 4 inches of snow in my back yard on Monday and then hammers me with 1/2+ of freezing rain monday night/tuesday morning...

There still several scenario's on the table but it's looking pretty likely that this could be a historic winter storm for the South east.

Edit: Make that over 1 inch of freezing rain here....

NAM drops a quick 3 or 4 inches of snow in my back yard on Monday and then hammers me with 1/2+ of freezing rain monday night/tuesday morning...

There still several scenario's on the table but it's looking pretty likely that this could be a historic winter storm for the South east.

ignoring the obvious problems with it's precip fields at this range, it keeps my location now at or below freezing through 81 hours as it finally starts to see the cold air banked up against the mountains. so taking into consideration it's still a few degrees too warm and this is a huge winter storm for a wider area still than it's showing. i think pretty much anywhere north of i-20 has a shot at staying below freezing, with only erosion toward the end with latent heat release. further north with easterly flow and extremely cold temps in the carolinas, i don't see that being enough to warm temps up before a hell of a lot of precip falls

ignoring the obvious problems with it's precip fields at this range, it keeps my location now at or below freezing through 81 hours as it finally starts to see the cold air banked up against the mountains. so taking into consideration it's still a few degrees too warm and this is a huge winter storm for a wider area still than it's showing. i think pretty much anywhere north of i-20 has a shot at staying below freezing, with only erosion toward the end with latent heat release. further north with easterly flow and extremely cold temps in the carolinas, i don't see that being enough to warm temps up before a hell of a lot of precip falls

and as usual over amped.

Why so much uncertainty still for Tuesday’s forecast? The image below shows several possible scenarios for the daytime Tuesday, based on 4 different models that were generated early Saturday morning. The blue lines show sea level pressure, black lines help depict upper level winds and temps, and the background image conveys moisture availability. While it’s not depicted in this image, right now, nearly all models show some light snow accumulation occurring across much of c...

See More
10384313_595629927205037_101807725609579

Showing how important it is to get precip in here early enough..the 12z nam is 10 to 15 degrees colder at the surface at 18z monday than the gfs in many locations across ga and sc.

The new GFS has issues in the boundary layer, it will never be as warm as the GFS shows, with a thick overcast deck you won't go anywhere from your AM lows Monday even if the precip does not arrive til late.

CAE holds with their discussion  :)

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...
MOISTURE WILL BE ON THE INCREASE MONDAY AHEAD OF LOW PRESSURE
TRACKING EASTWARD ALONG THE GULF COAST. THE BULK OF THE MOISTURE
AND STRONG ISENTROPIC LIFT WILL LIKELY HOLD OFF UNTIL MONDAY NIGHT.
THE DRY AIR IN PLACE WILL ALSO TAKE TIME TO OVERCOME. WE HAVE
FORECASTED CHANCE POPS MONDAY AFTERNOON BECOMING LIKELY MONDAY
NIGHT AND TUESDAY. THE COLD AIR IN PLACE AHEAD OF THE SYSTEM
SUPPORTS WINTER-TYPE PRECIPITATION AT THE ONSET. MODEL FORECAST
SOUNDINGS SUPPORT A PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN MAINLY NORTH OF A
LINE EXTENDING THROUGH EDGEFIELD...AIKEN...ORANGEBURG AND
MANNING. THE STRONG ISENTROPIC LIFT DISPLAYED BY THE GFS INDICATED
A POSSIBILITY OF SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATION. THE ECMWF SHOWED
SOMEWHAT LESS LIFT WITH MOISTURE NOT AS DEEP IN THE NORTH PART OF
THE FORECAST AREA WHERE SURFACE WET-BULB TEMPERATURES WILL BE
LOWEST. THE MODELS HAVE HAD LITTLE RUN-TO-RUN CONSISTENCY WITH THE
EVOLUTION OF THIS SYSTEM SO FORECAST CONFIDENCE REMAINS LOW.

THE GFS AND ECMWF HAVE TRENDED DRIER WEDNESDAY WITH THE SYSTEM
FARTHER OFFSHORE SO WE HAVE LOWERED POPS FOR THAT DAY. THE LATEST
RUNS DO NOT INDICATE SIGNIFICANT MOISTURE THURSDAY ASSOCIATED WITH
A CLIPPER-TYPE SYSTEM AS SOME RUNS THE PAST FEW DAYS HAVE SHOWN.
WE HAVE CONTINUED THE DRY FORECAST THURSDAY. THE GFS AND ECMWF
KEEP THE BULK OF THE MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH ANOTHER SYSTEM JUST
WEST OF THE FORECAST AREA THROUGH FRIDAY.

THE PATTERN SUPPORTS BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES CONTINUING THROUGH
THE MEDIUM-RANGE PERIOD. THE GFS AND ECMWF MOS DISPLAY THE COLDEST
TEMPERATURES WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

Archived