Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Feb 16th/17th/18th Winter Wx

burgertime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a tight cluster of members around 3" by 87 for CLT

The NAVGEM solution got me thinking that if the baja and PJ energy swings through fast enough and catches up to the first wave making for one big cold storm rather than 2 distinct waves... The mean SREF actually looks very similar to the startup of the NAVGEM solution albeit weaker

The NAVGEM solution got me thinking that if the baja and PJ energy swings through fast enough and catches up to the first wave making for one big cold storm... The SREF actually looks very similar to the startup of the NAVGEM solution.

What is that 2m temp map showing? I saw the chart, but still don't know what I was seeing?

It's cold.

Yep, freezing line runs through the northern half of GA through 4/5s of SC and almost all of NC (except maybe the beaches). This would be a huge hit as more precip is incoming.

2m temps again:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=087ℑ=data%2Fsref%2F21%2Fsref_namer_087_2m_temp.gif&model=sref&area=namer&param=2m_temp&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150213+21+UTC&imageSize=&ps=model

From, Robert's Facebook page

There's still no easy answers to how far north and west the storm will pull next week. We do know a snow band comes from the first wave of the storm Sunday night and Monday for western Carolinas, Tennessee, northern Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi and some of the areas from the mountains WEST will get a few inches out of that.

Then the flow will begin to back from the Gulf quickly Monday night. And this is where all the models have their own ideas. Does enough backing occur ...to create more snow and sleet in the South? How far north will the moisture return? It all depends on the interaction that occurs Monday in the Southwest states...there's a low that will try to phase in with the main system diving quickly through the 4 corners region of the Southwest and it's a guess as to whether it merges, or not. Right now, I think a partial phase is coming, and that fits the bill with what happens all Winter , where precip has pulled further north than most models would show at this stage of the game. The European was sort of supressed and dropped snow east to west, hammering TN to North Carolina. The GFS though is backing the flow much more, and the ensembles of all respective models back the flow much more. At this point, all we can do is either wait and see if there's ever any good agreement--but I'll take a risk here and say the flow DOES back more than most models show , and that means a pretty big snow event on the north side of the track of the low, from northern Alabama, eastern half of Tennessee, the western part of SC, northern Georgia, much of NC and VA and then Up the East Coast...but I can't guarantee it. You never know.

Look where the longwave axis lines up on GFS model: if this is right (next to Mississippi River) then the Storm should pull substantially north and west dropping copious rain and snow, with a narrow band of Sleet on Monday night, Tuesday and Tuesday Night, ending Wednesday for the MidAtlantic. The next couple of model runs will say yay or nay--once I get an idea of the main longwave trough axis, I'll have much more confidence on the final track.

For now this is how I think it will be though:

See More

fwiw (not much) nam ends up plastering central ga thru central sc down to chas with ice.  thru 75 still no precip in nc.  nam at this range is just for entertainment though.

Yep..it's almost laughable how much difference there is between this run and the last several. A thousand miles of precipitation that wasn't there the last few runs is there now. Fun to look at it but hardly to be taken seriously. that said, it sure would be a monster storm here if it worked out.

look at the 2m temps...33-35 for us...RAIN, and good lord gonna be cold

actually it's right at or slightly below freezing here/northeast ga through 84 hours. The nam has some questionable warming for a time after the initial thump of snow/sleet so even here these temps are questionable. never mind it not dropping temps to their wetbulbs to start with, despite some very respectable precip monday am. at face value this would be a huge winter storm here

The nam is confusing me a little bit. It puts the CAD regions of SC/GA right at 31/32 Tuesday morning during the storm. I would imagine it should be colder than this... And if you like at the 5h map you would think there's decent confluence for a high pressure in the perfect spot. Yet, when you look at the surface map, instead of a high pressure system there's basically just a void space  in that region with no winds blowing in any particular direction??? Hard for me to imagine we wouldn't at least have a 1028ish high centered in that void with a light Northeast wind cranking down from it.

Archived