Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL- I was just going to post the exact same thing. Baja energy in n central mexico getting sucked right in. This is a good sign.

Until the next model comes in and doesn't do it.  Just kidding and I like the look of the NAm but it is still at the end of its run so I'll wait until there is more convergence amongst the ensemble and operational runs.  The big ridge off the west coast and AK  west and the digging downstream is what is helping.  If something crashes the ridge, then we might get a flatter look 

I think that's true and most people do forget the sheared out messes. I suspect that the north trend works better with a positive NAO than with a strongly negative one.

Yeah probably. This does seem like a case it can come north especially if the low isn't crappy. I'm just not ready to commit given the Euro/ensembles and the general bounciness of the ops. I guess I just don't see it as totally illogical that it could largely slide south still. But maybe because I always liked that option more than the west ones.

Until the next model comes in and doesn't do it. Just kidding and I like the look of the NAm but it is still at the end of its run so I'll wait until there is more convergence amongst the ensemble and operational runs. The big ridge off the west coast and AK west and the digging downstream is what is helping. If something crashes the ridge, then we might get a flatter look

I'm just glad to see another model show it. Even if the nam. Gfs on deck.

Yeah probably. This does seem like a case it can come north especially if the low isn't crappy. I'm just not ready to commit given the Euro/ensembles and the general bounciness of the ops. I guess I just don't see it as totally illogical that it could largely slide south still. But maybe because I always liked that option more than the west ones.

The strong ridge make me think a southward miss might be the more likely scenario but if something crashed that ridge then the digging we're seeing on the GFS and NAm wouldn't be as strong and the flow might not back enough to get us.  I persoma;;y think a pure miss is the least likely scenario but I'd never write than in a CWG piece this early with the Euro and its ensembles being so suppressed. 

It's not scoring the best.  For future reference, here's the link to the model verification scores (I always have a hard time finding this):

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/

Click on "GFS 4 Cycles" in the top left corner.

18z has not been great recently, but the differences are usually so small that it's best to just use the most recent run. Even if 18z at 96 hours is on average less accurate than 12z at 96 hours, the 18z at 90 hours will usually be more accurate than 12z at 96 hours.

Thanks for the link.  I've bookmarked that before but still lost it.

On kind-of-topic, I like when Wes stays up late.  It makes me think we've got a chance.

The strong ridge make me think a southward miss might be the more likely scenario but if something crashed that ridge then the digging we're seeing on the GFS and NAm wouldn't be as strong and the flow might not back enough to get us.  I persoma;;y think a pure miss is the least likely scenario but I'd never write than in a CWG piece this early with the Euro and its ensembles being so suppressed. 

I don't think I favor a pure miss either. Ensemble blend would suggest a light event. Not sure I buy the GFS as is though.. seasonal trend is that we get screwed somehow more than a north or south or east or west move. ;)

I'd be surprised if our area gets 1". Storm is going to move fast. I suppose some sort of elongated shield well in front of the low is possible but getting more than 1" of qpf with no block and barely a sub 1k low isn't common

I agree that it's not going to be the type of storm that sits on top of us.  But an elongated shield is not unlikely, and if this brings up enough moisture from the south and the low passes close enough, it could dump more than 1" on us.  It's what the models were showing a couple of days ago, and I'm not confident enough in the track at this point to have any certainty that they won't show it again.  But you have a lot more experience with this stuff than I do.

Yep, go back to my  long post on the last page. This is truly actually a thread the needle event for us since we have no HP to the north. 

I read that over, and if I may say, it's a good overview discussion of the situation.  Lays out the general scenarios pretty clearly.  Now, I guess, we sit and watch over the next day or so and see how it plays out.

Archived