• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

Gorgeous night out there with clear, starry skies and moderate temperatures. Spent more than an hour skating/playing hockey on my rink. Have to spend as much time as I can out there because it's days are definitely numbered. Last year, I had my final skate on the morning of St. Patrick's Day, but I'm not sure it'll make it that far this year. I did open it 2 weeks earlier than last year, so in the end, it should even out.

Nice. If I remember correctly, you were debating even setting up the rink this year after a mild and rainy December. This winter sure threw us for a loop.

5.5F, might nab a surprise subzero low

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully those qpf numbers increase, they won't issue warnings up here unless theres a chance for 7+"

Unless ice is also involved

When I said warning criteria I was looking more at the clownmaps which show 6"+ for a lot of the area. Those exact outputs that I gave are only exact locations and it doesn't mean that someone 10 miles East didn't get 8".

Still a decent snowfall up here, 3-5" not a bad call. Enough to freshen the snowpack. Snow is snow, hopefully we can can cash in on the other possible waves this week, if they trend cooler.

Yeah, I'm about to pass last year's total, so any snow is profit at this point. I do think a snowpack-slaughtering is inevitable in the next 10 days, but hopefully it's a "clean slate" deal that makes room for a last huzzah instead of a harbinger of spring.

I wouldn't mind a brief change of pace, honestly. It's sort of like after Thanksgiving dinner, when all the pies and cakes grow monotonous, and you have to reach over and take another couple bites of lukewarm turkey leftovers before desert can be finished.

We've learned this year to set the bar low. I'd agree with 2-5" for most. If it over performs, great, but the only systems that have really done so this year for us have been a couple of cold front passages (where we get 2-3" of snow instead of 1").

I'm reluctant to even go 2-5" at this point in time.

2-5 flurries?

Well, first off, we've seen how much things have changed this winter within 48 hours.  Secondly, if you go back to the summer when we had the drought, the majority of events have under performed, very few have performed as modeled or over performed.  Sure there have been some and we did get out of the drought but the overall trend, at least IMBY, has been bet the under.  Lets see what happens over the weekend, I'll be rooting for an over performer.

Well, first off, we've seen how much things have changed this winter within 48 hours.  Secondly, if you go back to the summer when we had the drought, the majority of events have under performed, very few have performed as modeled or over performed.  Sure there have been some and we did get out of the drought but the overall trend, at least IMBY, has been bet the under.  Lets see what happens over the weekend, I'll be rooting for an over performer.

Very true, and I believe I made a similar point with the last system about under performing systems being a theme going back to last year. In fact, some parts of the region are still characterized as "abnormally dry" on the US drought monitor (parts of Orange, Rockland and Sussex and into NE PA). 

If we do have another bust, at least we can look forward to some histrionics from various members of the board. That always helps overcome the sting.

Very true, and I believe I made a similar point with the last system about under performing systems being a theme going back to last year. In fact, some parts of the region are still characterized as "abnormally dry" on the US drought monitor (parts of Orange, Rockland and Sussex and into NE PA). 

If we do have another bust, at least we can look forward to some histrionics from various members of the board. That always helps overcome the sting.

I didn't realize you made the same point, I missed that, sorry.  I honestly haven't even looked at the US drought monitor in months since we've been in this frozen tundra.  And yes, the stomping of feet, temper tantrums, arguments, etc will over perform if some see another bust in their eyes.   

I didn't realize you made the same point, I missed that, sorry.  I honestly haven't even looked at the US drought monitor in months since we've been in this frozen tundra.  And yes, the stomping of feet, temper tantrums, arguments, etc will over perform if some see another bust in their eyes.   

lol, no worries, I was just validating your point! We may not see as many tantrums on Sunday night though since it's a school night.

As we wait for the Euro, I'm curious where does everyone here weigh in on the dress? 

lol, no worries, I was just validating your point! We may not see as many tantrums on Sunday night though since it's a school night.

As we wait for the Euro, I'm curious where does everyone here weigh in on the dress? 

I just heard a bit about the stupid dress, looks gold and off white, almost light purple to me.  Whats the story behind it?

I just heard a bit about the stupid dress, looks gold and off white, almost light purple to me.  Whats the story behind it?

Some girl from Scotland released a picture of it on Tumblr on Wednesday I believe, it's a picture of her mom or a friend's mom from a wedding, and there was a lot of disagreement among her friends over what color the dress was. From Tumblr, it sort of broke the internet. It was all over twitter yesterday, on all the major news shows, etc. The dress is actually black and blue, but the picture is overexposed a little, and depending on how your eyes and brain are interpreting it, you could see it as either white and gold or black and blue.

It looks a little bluer and blacker than it did to me yesterday evening, but the image has been reposted so many times that it might just be bastardized due to jpeg compression and such.

That's actually the original post from tumblr, I think when you look at the larger picture, it's easier to see that it's blue and black as opposed to the snippet of the dress that most people are looking at.

Archived