Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 3-4, 2015 Storm Obs/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The models yesterday showed that tucking back south. Wonder if that slips into SE nH and NE mA?

This seems a bit earlier than the models had it, but 6-7 mb drops on the elbow of the Cape right now. Time for a hasty forecast update I think. Not so much rain at PWM through 12z at this rate.

13 and very fine snow in Rangeley, ME - looks like about 3 inches so far. Interesting that Jayhawk reported windy conditions at Saddleback a while ago. Down here close to town there's not enough breeze to blow the powder off the balsams.

It's been roaring all night, door-shaking wind. If I wasn't so lazy and also didn't have five other peeps that I'd rather not disturb here I'd grab the Kestrel and get a reading.

ZR continuing here at the Pit,, but we don't have a whole lot more room before it becomes plain rain.  Hopefully the torch will be muted and short-lived.  More likely just the latter.

I took the "don't bother with the driveway" approach.  I will clear the deck though--otherwise, the not-so-bright dog won't realize she's not on the lawn  and let go on it.

30.6/30

Had 3.9" at home with a very stout crust...very loud walking around in the yard, haha.  Had to easily be a half inch of QPF or more in that stuff.

Up the road, the crust is much less and the snowfall is higher, with around 5" at 1,500ft snow board.

Grooming coming in with right around 6" at 3,000ft.

Light sleet and ZR now.  Still cold though with 23F at 4,000ft...so that warmth at H85 must be right above that or something.  27F at 1,500ft and I had 28F when I left my house at 750ft.  But generally looking at least a 2000-3000ft thick sub-freezing layer in the lower levels.

Had 3.9" at home with a very stout crust...very loud walking around in the yard, haha.  Had to easily be a half inch of QPF or more in that stuff.

Up the road, the crust is much less and the snowfall is higher, with around 5" at 1,500ft snow board.

attachicon.gifphoto 21b.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 21.JPG

Grooming coming in with right around 6" at 3,000ft.

Light sleet and ZR now.  Still cold though with 23F at 4,000ft...so that warmth at H85 must be right above that or something.  27F at 1,500ft and I had 28F when I left my house at 750ft.  But generally looking at least a 2000-3000ft thick sub-freezing layer in the lower levels.

GYX sounding is on the way up. Maxed out at +6.1 C (surface temp 16 by the way), all the way up at 793 mb (slightly under 7,000 feet).

Like Will was saying the other day, once you get above +3 or so it's hard to maintain sleet as dominant ptype anymore.

complete skating rink....not much dripping yet and not a lick of salt or sand on the road

We've got a pretty big batch of rain coming through right now to pad the glaze before the big melt-down.  No doubt whether the melt will get rid of things as we're now only expected to get mid-40's.

30.7/30

Oh it's coming. But I knew last night when the HRRR kept things colder longer we had a chance to not torch until mid morning. Just a day and half of no snow cover and then it's replenished with the snow on Tuesday

You'll have snow (or something other than brown grass) remaining.  The 50's won't kill ya.

I thought the sander was coming down the road just now, but it was just the dairy truck making its daily pick-up.  I don't think we've had anything come by this main drag.

You'll have snow (or something other than brown grass) remaining.  The 50's won't kill ya.

I thought the sander was coming down the road just now, but it was just the dairy truck making its daily pick-up.  I don't think we've had anything come by this main drag.

Nah..it's going to completely melt. With roaring sw winds, dews and temps near 50 it'll go quick

Nah..it's going to completely melt. With roaring sw winds, dews and temps near 50 it'll go quick

We'll see.  Good luck.

Just saw that we had a large branch come down.  It's hard in the light to see exactly how big or which tree dropped it.  It's the only casualty I can see so far.  Lots of low-hanging trees.

30.8/30

The branch that had come down was a 5" one from a 200-year old maple that had gone on life-support this past season.  It landed smack in the middle of one of my wife's ornamental bushes.  Oops.  We'll need to take the tree down this year which is a shame since its one of the line of similar trees that line the length of the road.  On the plus side, it'll give me a good contribution to the coming year's cutting efforts.

Other branches were down in the woods, but I didn't venture in there in case more were coming down (I did hear a few snaps while I was out there).

Also, I didn't venture onto the pavement so I can't speak to those conditions, but on the non-paved surfaces, it was no big deal.  The ZR had given a crust to the snow below.  Meh.

ZR

30.8/30

No posts from Chris this morning--I wonder if he's lost power down in G'field.

I am a little surprised that we're still having ZR at this point.  I thought it would have changed to rn during the pre-dawn hours.  The .3" that had been forecasted looks to be pretty darn accurate (assuming we go to rn shortly).

30.9/30

Archived