BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
New Years' Weekend Snow Potential

Rainman

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 runs in a row on the Euro of 33-34˚ and all rain for LAF. We've returned to winter hell after a year/season hiatus. Long live the king.

Kinda doesn't make sense that we'd get nothing wintry on the front end with the track it has (even a bit south of the GFS).  I guess if it delays precip long enough then it would be possible.

I'm rooting for a more amped version compared to the Euro, but it's hard to deny the skill the Euro has in this range.  Euro solution would be pretty lame in the snow department compared to some of the other models, but it is what it is. 

Compared to what we have seen in December, 2" would be a respectable storm :whistle:

Almost a redux of the Christmas storm in the sense that the Euro is kinda on its own.  Once again will be a challenge for forecasters to sort out if it stays this way in the next few cycles.  Commendable talent lies with the meteorologists who are able to pick out the times when a normally superior model may not be.

Almost a redux of the Christmas storm in the sense that the Euro is kinda on its own.  Once again will be a challenge for forecasters to sort out if it stays this way in the next few cycles.  Commendable talent lies with the meteorologists who are able to pick out the times when a normally superior model may not be.

Right, this time I don't see this continually shifting E and weaker like the last one.  Maybe a compromise of the Euro/GEM would be in order (ie. more like taking the average of the GFS Ensembles).

northern vort has a ways to go riding over the top of the pac ridge in the GOA....I am expecting varying solutions to continue for the next 48 hours

Yes. This is what I've been trying to get at get at for a while. The sampling for this key factor in what plays out still has about another 36 hours to go before it even enters North America.

Not too large of a "cone" at this range. Just taking a slice at any point, could say anywhere from Michigan City to Dayton

yeah...the southern stream looks fairly set-ish....but northern system still has some spread on timing, strength, and location....which, obviously, could provide (or not) some impacts on our southern system.

The inconsistency of the models is giving me flashbacks of the grinch storm.

It's totally a deja vu flashback to the grinch storm, the euro won that one being the most south, i got laughed at for riding the euro on that lol was funny when it won, although this time i think the euro will come a little more north like it has been slowly trending a bit more north each run, but I think the GFS and GGEM are still too far north yet.

12z Euro total precipitation and snowfall maps. These will self-destruct in 30 minutes.

attachicon.gifecmwf_tsnow_mc_21.png

attachicon.gifecmwf_tprecip_mc_21.png

Interesting....

This link makes it look like Detroit would be nearly all heavy wet snow

http://www.yr.no/place/United_States/Michigan/Detroit_Metropolitan_Wayne_County_Airport/long.html

I saw the Eurowx.com snow map and it showed like 6-9", and now this wxbell shows very little snow.

Regardless, its not important as no track is even close to set, its just going to be an interesting thermals issue.

Archived