BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
New Years' Weekend Snow Potential

Rainman

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's probably more in play for the northern stream system, as this event we're discussing is not likely to shift that far NW (I could definitely see a LaCrosse to Rhinelander/Green Bay special though).

Yeah I might be in play for a defo band sagging south from the northern stream. But I don't see a big enough swing to the NW to get in on the phase fun. Madison to Lacrosse looking nice.

Still a ways away but I'm feeling more confident in seeing some accumulating snows at some point with this storm.  Looks like a mix bag for awhile before shifting to snow.  I think the heaviest ends up a bit northwest of here, but still too early.  PGFS would be a direct hit for the QCA, so there's that. 

GEM, GFS, and PGFS all have a decent icing/sleet period going on over parts of CHI and Nrn IL before changing over to snow. Curious to see how that may play out. 

On the outside looking in again on this one, like most of OH and IN. Maybe some mixed precip on the leading edge. I suppose we'll get something eventually.  :ee:

Looks like a classic mid-level qpf slop storm. Thinking somewhere in the range of .4 to .6 liquid starting as pingers before quickly flipping to zr and maybe even plain rain before ending as a slushy inch or so. The WAA period is just too long and robust for this to be a snowstorm for mby. Still by far the most interesting event of the season imby. Wouldn't mind seeing low level cold hang tough to deliver a rare lakefront ice storm but that's rare for a reason.

Good luck with the ice  :P

post-14-0-99220700-1420047383_thumb.gif

Yeah I might be in play for a defo band sagging south from the northern stream. But I don't see a big enough swing to the NW to get in on the phase fun. Madison to Lacrosse looking nice.

I haven't got a good look at the gem H7 maps as of yet today, but my first guess is that it develops a weak disturbance at that level between the southern energy and the northern energy around hour 72, causing earlier phase of the two systems, other models are trying to hint at that, but don't quite get there.  If the TC metro gets into play on the phase this is how its going to happen.

Archived