Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Christmas Grinch Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z RGEM was also east. Actually it's kind of hideous for NE IL purposes. But the real takeaway is the nice donut-hole over LAF on the snowfall map.  :unsure:

attachicon.gifrgem_snow_acc_mw_17.png

It'll be funny if LAF gets more than where we'll be.

Uneasy about this one for various reasons.  Family has been pressing me for a call of course... I said at least 2-4" for Lake county with the thinking there's more upside than downside.  RGEM says no to that though. 

It'll be funny if LAF gets more than where we'll be.

Uneasy about this one for various reasons.  Family has been pressing me for a call of course... I said at least 2-4" for Lake county with the thinking there's more upside than downside.  RGEM says no to that though. 

lol, yeah...that would be funny. 

It's a tough call on this one. The 12z Euro (and its ensembles) going east is a bit disconcerting. But, we'll see... 

Mike Caplan (ABC7 Chicago) tweeted:

"Next forecast model update around 9pm. Could be a major revision. I'll let you know."

Wagons East?

Given the variability of the models and the limited width of the heaviest snow band(not to mention lacking cold air) no revision would be considered major. Today's social media hype machine. Mike is better then that.

I have a feeling the holiday and it being the first potential snow of the season are playing in as well

This and other reasons speculated about all played into our decision. It was a lower threshold lower confidence watch than we typically go with. I'm definitely nervous with the trends of the 18z guidance and 12z Euro but hoping (for my forecast) that convection down south is messing with things a bit and that the track will ultimately put us in a favorable position for the intense banding and dynamic cooling. Regarding the amounts, I think it's unlikely that large of an area sees the higher amounts forecast, but somewhere in the defo band is going to get slammed. Bust potential is high still but unfortunately it's the nature of the beast, especially with a system like this and marginal BL conditions.

This and other reasons speculated about all played into our decision. It was a lower threshold lower confidence watch than we typically go with. I'm definitely nervous with the trends of the 18z guidance and 12z Euro but hoping (for my forecast) that convection down south is messing with things a bit and that the track will ultimately put us in a favorable position for the intense banding and dynamic cooling. Regarding the amounts, I think it's unlikely that large of an area sees the higher amounts forecast, but somewhere in the defo band is going to get slammed. Bust potential is high still but unfortunately it's the nature of the beast, especially with a system like this and marginal BL conditions.

I'm clueless here. But wouldn't a further east track lead to a more progressive storm with less snow due to lack of dynamic cooling. While a more intense storm winding up will favor the more northwest track? Funny thing is, I'm still more concerned with a more northwest track if this really intensifies. Tough forecast for you guys. No doubt.

Wow that satellite imagery is impressive... nice little piece of energy in Northeast Kansas, North Central/Northeast Texas, deep convection/diffluence on the southeast flank of the system... everything just screams big storm if only the temps were in a bit better situation. 

The concern I have with the intense convection is the opposite of some of the other thoughts... we don't have a closed off upper air system jus yet (although we are getting there) to yank the surface low more West so until that happens I think we monitor that deep convection down South to see if it causes the low pressure to develop more East-Northeast for a while vs. due Northeast or North-Northeast as the models say.  We'll see... I know its not conventional but it has me wondering.

Wow that satellite imagery is impressive... nice little piece of energy in Northeast Kansas, North Central/Northeast Texas, deep convection/diffluence on the southeast flank of the system... everything just screams big storm if only the temps were in a bit better situation. 

The concern I have with the intense convection is the opposite of some of the other thoughts... we don't have a closed off upper air system jus yet (although we are getting there) to yank the surface low more West so until that happens I think we monitor that deep convection down South to see if it causes the low pressure to develop more East-Northeast for a while vs. due Northeast or North-Northeast as the models say.  We'll see... I know its not conventional but it has me wondering.

One can kind of see the bolded happening with the satellite imagery as well...

Archived