• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Today's Dec 18th outlook article

usedtobe

Wrote another 2 week outlook for the Capital Weather Gang today.   I don't think my outlooks have been as good as last year but here's another attempt.  Through 27th, our chances of snow are pretty bleak, once the arctic front settles south of us, out chances at least rise to normal, maybe slightly above normal.  Anyway, here's my low confidence wag. I'm sure it will prompt a few thoughts that will promp a few more couplets like

Oh, soon the usual suspects will be out

Wishcasting a pattern change that will save our season.

But nevertheless, here's today's thoughts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/12/18/two-week-outlook-no-white-christmas-likely-for-d-c-but-turning-colder-for-the-new-year/

Nice read Wes. This is a really tough period to do a 2 week outlook. And normal to slightly above snow chances as we close the year and enter the new one is about as good as you can ask for in these parts. 

We'll be cold and beyond that who knows what the pattern really offers.  The model runs certainly won't tell us.  The fact that the ridge is so far west gives me hope that we could get an overunning event.  The one downside is that the pressure may still be low over the great lakes.  That could still be a problem.  If so, we'll be in that see-saw zone where we average colder than normal for from the 27th to around the 2nd and then warm up just enough for rain.  

We'll be cold and beyond that who knows what the pattern really offers.  The model runs certainly won't tell us.  The fact that the ridge is so far west gives me hope that we could get an overunning event.  The one downside is that the pressure may still be slow over the great lakes.  That could still be a problem.  If so, we'll be in that see-saw zone where we average colder than normal for fromt eh 27th to around the 2nd and then warm up just enough for rain.  

Some similarities to last year. A couple good things is that IF the epo ridge is as stout as what is being shown, it usually means it will be stable for a period. There's just so much uncertainty with the NAO, ridge axis, progression of cold air, etc that discussing specifics means the conversation will be different every day for the next week. I just hope the overall big picture goes down as what is being shown. 

Archived