BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2014/15 Winter Banter and General Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just always seem to think you are in a great spot..no matter what the trends look like. I sincerely hope you stay all snow and ice..trends say you don't and likely get well up into the 40's

No.  I always hope I am in the perfect spot, but rarely am.  Right now this one looks good to me.

You're still getting your snow. Noone is stealing it away from you. Enjoy your blockbuster winter up there. It was time your area ended up with a good one

I'm still confused as to why you keep saying this.  How would one steal "my" snow and if that's what you are getting out of my posting style then I need to change something....as that is not even crossing my mind, haha.

I just picture someone sitting outside with their arms opened wide hugging a pile of snow saying "noooo don't steal my snow" as a bucket loader shows up to remove it.

Seasonally, I had more snow in November than in December, we've regressed to near normal in this general area (such as the ski resorts), though my BY proper is still running a bit ahead of normal thanks to some lucky lake effect/upslope streamers earlier in the winter.

I'm still confused as to why you keep saying this.  How would one steal "my" snow and if that's what you are getting out of my posting style then I need to change something....as that is not even crossing my mind, haha.

I just picture someone sitting outside with their arms opened wide hugging a pile of snow saying "noooo don't steal my snow" as a bucket loader shows up to remove it.

It was a COC summer and winter isn't going his way. It's a hard knock life for the Rev.

For gradient events it works pretty good. Obviously for coastal storms it's a bit different...lines like 495 work better on those.

unless you are a poster from western CT Mass, it's a eastern mass weeniism,often misused and not true . elevations south of the Pike like Stafford do much better than Springfield etc.

unless you are a poster from western CT Mass, it's a eastern mass weeniism,often misused and not true . elevations south of the Pike like Stafford do much better than Springfield etc.

I would say its just an approximation.  Its something to use to give a general idea.  Not all geographic boundaries we talk about on this board are black and white, but its something to use that gives the general idea.  I mean if you're a couple miles south of the Pike and a couple miles north, its all the same.  But it helps give an idea if you are like north of ORH or near HFD, you know what the Pike delineation is trying to say.

Those things come on quick and aren't completely understood so nobody really knows. I know the odds favor one, but I see nothing anytime soon. I'm certainly not an expert with that stuff.

I'm banking on one for a rocking Feb but most folks would cliff jump before that. I just don't know what to look for when I'm looking at models for one....I'm guessing higher heights at 500mb?

I'm banking on one for a rocking Feb but most folks would cliff jump before that. I just don't know what to look for when I'm looking at models....I'm guessing higher heights at 500mb?

I like to look at 50mb and 10 mb. Believe it or not, the vortex splits next week, but then comes right back. The fact that it's so tenacious sort of gives me pause, but I know they can come on quick. 2007 did that. 

I just hope those that forecast 70-90 inches for their BY's aren't still expecting that lol. It's January and most folks are in single digits

Well when it comes, it can come quick. Just because the first two weeks of Jan don't deliver 20", doesn't mean winter will suck.I'm hoping the clipper can drop a few, but hey...we will see. 

unless you live in WMass NWCT

No boundary is going to be perfect.  Same in a coastal storm when folks use 495 to 395 or something.  Its not perfect but gives you an idea of what mets are thinking.  Its just a way to illustrate ideas thats easier than writing out every single town name you think will fall in one camp vs. another.

I'll take 2-4" and run, at this point. 

It's never a pike event with him :lol:

He never likes any area of dillineation to be the pike....its always either south of his area, or the NH border.

Sometimes south of Quebec works.

Got to the DAR and discovered I must have taken my jacket out of the car. Oops, hike cancel. Hockey being played on the lake with flurries.

19.9/7 at the pit.

Salisbury is so remote, you've gotta retire there. Which I certainly will think about, in 30 years.

There's jobs that can be done without working in a city.  Even so, there's commutable places nearby but I get your point. 

:weenie:  Ive actually driven through that area in Florida, they must average 120"-130" per year.. only issue is the wind turbines that they are building on the ridge there  

I saw those on the satellite but it looked like the mountain sloped behind you so you'd never see them.  I was just thinking that the elevation is just tremendous for SNE.  I would think that they would average about what Searsburg, VT gets.

No boundary is going to be perfect. Same in a coastal storm when folks use 495 to 395 or something. Its not perfect but gives you an idea of what mets are thinking. Its just a way to illustrate ideas thats easier than writing out every single town name you think will fall in one camp vs. another.

lol, thanks never knew that

Archived