happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
December-winter is finally here!

weathafella

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see what they are doing. The ensembles are still trying to involve a second shot of energy after the first low. The GFS op sort of wants none of it and just brings the low north after Sunday. Well if you are gonna sneak an event in, you'll need timing and latitude. Might have that on the 9-10 or so. Signal has been there for a couple of days, but it's about 7-8 days out now so somewhat out of clown range.

Originally it looked like two events and maybe the 10-12 would be it, but the 12z run seems to be more this weekend. If anything.

The column cools..maybe ice to snow? 

I think this will def be something to watch for CNE/NNE...we'll see about areas like ORH or even into Ray's area. You get that very strong polar high, even if modified, and it can advect a lot of dry air down. You end up with mini paste bombs.

While South of the Mass/CT border is out of luck ..this is exactly why you don't mail it in or shut off any time period in any December..can still get wintry events in a not so favorable pattern..hopefully you guys that live up there can get something out of this

pretty good ice storm as depicted

I think this will def be something to watch for CNE/NNE...we'll see about areas like ORH or even into Ray's area. You get that very strong polar high, even if modified, and it can advect a lot of dry air down. You end up with mini paste bombs.

It's a multi-day event there. Definitely latitude deal perhaps. Maybe this is the classic fitting and timing of something amid a crappy pattern..although I would argue the pattern is more hostile next week compared to this weekend.

While South of the Mass/CT border is out of luck ..this is exactly why you don't mail it in or shut off any time period in any December..can still get wintry events in a not so favorable pattern..hopefully you guys that live up there can get something out of this

Well that's a given. It's still lousy, but it's NNE. I mean even in 2011-2012 they still got snow. PF will get his upslope I'm sure too.

It's a multi-day event there. Definitely latitude deal perhaps. Maybe this is the classic fitting and timing of something amid a crappy pattern..although I would argue the pattern is more hostile next week compared to this weekend.

925mb temps here never go above 0C up here through that event, even though it torches briefly at 850mb and up.

925mb temps here never go above 0C up here through that event, even though it torches briefly at 850mb and up.

It's always hard this time if year to torch aloft on the favorable side of a 700 low. In my head, I take the KFIT sounding for example and probably take the temps down a bit. Take the same setup and give it to the euro, I bet euro would be a hair colder. Yes it's a little old fashioned meteorology, but it works.

The one thing to watch is for the models to cool the mid-levels as we get closer...I've seen that happen often with a stout polar high to the north. Models under-estimate the dry air that gets advected down and you end up with mid-level temps like 2 or 3C colder than what maybe was progged days earlier.

Latitude is usually premium in that type of setup closer to that source region.

What really warms up the column for the Southern New England region south of the MA pike is really the northern stream energy.  It is too far north and doesn't dig far enough south to cut off the warming at 850mb.  However I think as has been the trend lately for the system to trend colder and dig much further south than currently modeled.  Time will tell for all of us.

The one thing to watch is for the models to cool the mid-levels as we get closer...I've seen that happen often with a stout polar high to the north. Models under-estimate the dry air that gets advected down and you end up with mid-level temps like 2 or 3C colder than what maybe was progged days earlier.

Latitude is usually premium in that type of setup closer to that source region.

Interesting...at least that event is something to watch. The high position looks good for down for your area with a very noticeable wedge set-up into SNE.

MJO should at least make it into phase 6, which is good because that re-fires the -EPO....if it goes into the COD after that happens, it's fine...since the backround state will want to a +PNA anyway.

Yeah but isnt it alarming that the same gfs runs which have shown it propogating around to 7-8-1 are showing the blowtorch nino like pattern across NA as that's going on? 

Yeah but isnt it alarming that the same gfs runs which have shown it propogating around to 7-8-1 are showing the blowtorch nino like pattern across NA as that's going on? 

I'm not sure I'd ever be "alarmed" at anything the long range GEFS show. :lol:

But I get what you are saying. They might be having trouble resolving the conflicting signals of the ridging over the GOA and even to the eastern Aleutians that is typical in phase 7 and the base state of the Aleutian Low in El Nino...esp in Dec.

At any rate, I guess we'll see what happens as we get closer.

Archived