Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feb. 12-13, 2014... Didn't the EURO start east, correct too far west, then end up somewhere in the middle?

I know it's a different situation, but this reminded me of that.

It's just sort of anecdotal, but it doesn't seem like solutions trend west to a point and then slowly leak back eastward to the final solution.  But could just be a memory selection effect.  The Euro is by far the west-most solution right now, but it's the Euro...  At this point, I'd still put a little more faith in the Euro ensembles.  Hopefully they have a more GFS-like track. 

7" here on 12/5/09

That's the first storm that came to mind when this thing starting looking possible yesterday. I got 7" also. This system on the Euro looks wetter than that one yet also looks warmer. Most of 12/5/09 daytime temps were 31/32 and then fell into the 27-29 range in the early evening and continued to snow for several hours.

This storm looks more 32-34 even for us for at least the first half because as depicted on the Euro we start out early Wed. morning around 37/38, however I find that no matter what the set up is if it snows hard enough the temp always settles into that 31/32 range for our area as long as your over 700 feet.

That's the first storm that came to mind when this thing starting looking possible yesterday. I got 7" also. This system on the Euro looks wetter than that one yet also looks warmer. Most of 12/5/09 daytime temps were 31/32 and then fell into the 27-29 range in the early evening and continued to snow for several hours.

This storm looks more 32-34 even for us for at least the first half because as depicted on the Euro we start out early Wed. morning around 37/38, however I find that no matter what the set up is if it snows hard enough the temp always settles into that 31/32 range for our area as long as your over 700 feet.

Especially at times with the lower sun angles.

Very elevation dependent system. I got about 6" here in Manchester. Places nw of the fall line saw at least some snow. Similar setup but that storm was nowhere near as juicy as this one. The max precip with that was only about .6 qpf.

I thought you were in PA still per sig? Or did you move back to Manchester?

I know 1000-500 hPa thicknesses have fallen out of favor as a snow/rain metric but here are the values from the Euro for BWI

12Z W 547 0.05"

18Z W 548 0.63"

00Z T 549  0.54"

06Z T 534  0.16" 

Obviously, they don't drop between 12 and 18 Z.  Perhaps 1000-850 drop is balanced by 850-700 increase. 

The skew T for 39N/76W 18Z W shows T's within a degree of zero from src to 900 hPa. 

Archived