• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal

Coach McGuirk

without being able to get into the physics of why it seems to me just observing over the years that often times during the critical development period of a coastal storm the gfs will jump the slp off in the wrong direction and that throws everything after out of whack. On several occasions it seems it may have been feedback related where the gfs shifted towards an overdone region of convection. Again I don't have the ability to say for sure if that's the culprit it's just an observation I've had and sometimes those can be biased or misleading.

Fair enough.....but in that case, the issue is not the feedback (or the scheme itself), but the location of the most intense convection.  This could be caused by poor specification of SST or other issues in the model, and not necessarily the convective scheme itself.  That's not to say that the current convective scheme doesn't need some work/improvement, because it certainly does.

The generation (or enhancement) of (potential) vorticity through diabatic processes is a real thing.  There is a good study by Brennan and Lackmann on the Jan 25, 2000 storm demonstrating what happens if a model screws up intense convection and generation of diabatic PV early in the forecast of that event.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, my expectation is that the new system *should* be better for Miller A systems where diabatic, nonlinear effects are critical.  THe new system has an increase in spatial resolution, improved (higher resolution) SST product used, and other physics-related changes....all of which should improve the predictions of this type of development.  However, the new package doesn't include a significant overhaul in the convective parameterization and I worry that the new Semi-Lagrangian dynamic core damps things a bit too much.  So perhaps my expectations are too high....

Thanks for the info

Archived