Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any way the surface could verify colder than projected atm?

Yes, but not substantially colder.  The airmass is just not that cold.  I think we're talking about a couple degrees either side of 32F if we're getting precip on Wednesday.  If the Xbox GFS solution verifies, we'd probably have highs in the upper 30s/low 40s on Wednesday. 

Lots of "ifs", but if the precip falls at the forecast rate with temps 32-33F at this time of year, it will accumulate on the roads as well.

Imho- it will stick to roads no problem even at 35* IF rates verify. Stick as in a slushy mess and terrible travel conditions.

Last night's euro had .8 in 6 hours. Pretty extreme solution but the storm progression on guidance would support an extended period of heavy rates. I could envision the front overunning not sticking but as the low passes there will be ample juice and good dynamics. Where the heaviest falls is up in the air but as depicted it would be a high impact event and not some pretty mulch and grass coverer.

Isn't there metar text output on accuwx? If 925s verify then the odds of the surface throwing a big wrench definitely decrease.

they do, but for the airports

it appears the text output differs from the skewts....I think they have limited skewts and then put you in the "range"

the text output for BWI, and I'm a hair better than them usually by .5 to 1F, is 1.1C to 1.4C during precip

EDIT: they don't give 925 temps

Thanks Pack. If you don't mind, please pop in after the 12z run. 925 is a very important level with the marginal surface.

No problem, for the Euro the only place I have access to them is on AccPro and it takes a while to update after it runs.  But I will pop in when they update.

Archived