• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal

Coach McGuirk

Just throwing in my 2 cents to the Euro snowmap debate.. I do have access to Euro cross sections via Accupro and I would be fairly confident in saying they support all snow from a Winchester to DCA line, and probably most of the way to Annapolis. Did two cross sections at 90 hours, one from Winchester to DCA and another from Winchester to Annapolis. The first one to DCA, the entire column was cold enough and the 0C line was literally right near the surface (near 1000mb).. probably not a 10:1 snow but still looked like all snow. Only when it was getting toward the bay in Annapolis did the 0C line creep up towards the 950mb level and maybe suggest a sleet/rain mixed in type deal.

Really wish I could play show and tell with the cross section on here but I'm sure that wouldn't be allowed. At any rate, still lots of time to hash this thing out track wise much less get into the difficult details of precip type. 

Thanks for the info...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro has been locked in. Now the uk and gfs are jumping on board. I guess I have to start taking this seriously. The upgraded gfs is either going to prove its worth this week or prove it's just more of the same crap with coastal storms. Wonder if this upgrade did anything to try to solve the issue gfs has with feedback in these type systems.

Nothing like watching the overnight runs while up with a 3 week old.

Euro has been locked in. Now the uk and gfs are jumping on board. I guess I have to start taking this seriously. The upgraded gfs is either going to prove its worth this week or prove it's just more of the same crap with coastal storms. Wonder if this upgrade did anything to try to solve the issue gfs has with feedback in these type systems.

Nothing like watching the overnight runs while up with a 3 week old.

At least you have something to track during those midnight feedings. Winter of 12/13 was lame so I had nothing to watch during the newborn stage.

6z GFS is near perfect given what we are dealing with...0.85" of QPF for DC...33-34 at the surface most of the storm.....parallel hasn't caught on yet....

6z GFS looks a lot like the Euro at 500mb, at least until about 72 hours.  GEFS are still east, but are slowly coming west on each cycle it seems.  With the Euro locked in and the Euro Ens onboard, that's pretty damn good consensus for 72-96 hours out.

Xbox GFS is either going to score an amazing coup on the first Miller A or be completely embarrassed. 

6z GFS sounding for the north side of 495 at 18z on Wednesday. At freezing (maybe 33F?) at the surface, but otherwise below freezing. Not great for high ratios, but it's snow.

GFS_3_2014112306_F84_39.0000N_77.0000W.png

Honestly a pretty good sounding if you ask me USAF. The 6z was reasonable yet solid for people hoping for snow. Not a discernible warm nose. Our GL low is possibly helping keep this in just in the right spot rather than coming too far west.

Honestly a pretty good sounding if you ask me USAF. The 6z was reasonable yet solid for people hoping for snow. Not a discernible warm nose. Our GL low is possibly helping keep this in just in the right spot rather than coming too far west.

Oh, it's plenty fine for snow. Just saying it's not going to be powdery fluff full of dendrites.  Just not cold enough aloft for that. 

Oh, it's plenty fine for snow. Just saying it's not going to be powdery fluff full of dendrites. Just not cold enough aloft for that.

Definitely, but we won't be as low as 5-1. From the looks of of it, I'd say 8-1 with some potentially 10-1 in western regions on the tail end. Like you said a solid column with good rates. I'd say it could be coming down like 2/25/07.

I'll take my usual Baltimore needles, globs, and pellets and like it, thanks.

Yeah, that's probably more like it. Maybe fluffier on the tail end. 

Definitely, but we won't be as low as 5-1. From the looks of of it, I'd say 8-1 with some potentially 10-1 in western regions on the tail end. Like you said a solid column with good rates. I'd say it could be coming down like 2/25/07.

Yeah, taken verbatim, it certainly wouldn't be that low.  5:1 is pretty rare. 

It's starting to look like a lock even at 4 day leads. Thurs 0z euro ens low position plot is about as tight as you'll see at that lead.

post-2035-0-71680300-1416748764_thumb.gi

As Matt already said, euro ens mean precip @ DCA looks like .80-.85. No guidance is showing big trouble with the column other than the surface. 

Now the GFS op is on board @ d4 as well. 

12z is probably time to start discussing start/end times, amounts, and temps...

Catching up from overnight.  I hate the wxbell maps, but I have to say that wunderground came out exactly the same if you add up the increments, about 14".  Good 850 track, wind direction is good enough (less easterly component the better).  On both the euro and the current GFS, what I don't like is that the freezing DP line is way up north and west of 95.  And of course it would be nice to have the para GFS on board just for consensus.

post-1746-0-24570500-1416749219_thumb.gi

Storm is still 3 days away. Lots can change

Sure can, but regardless of type, this thing looks to make travel a nightmare on the 95 corridor. I know many of you have traveled on that day and know just how bad it is even in good weather. Really glad to be staying home and hope for safe travels for all.

I would think the 6z gfs really helped bump the confidence level. But as you said, lots can change.

If more of a Euro-ish solution verifies, you really want to be inland and at elevation to feel confident in seeing accumulating sloppy wet snow, with best chances late Wed into Wed night, For the cities and east I would think any snow stickage would be at night as the lower levels cool, although Euro surface temps never get very cold. Also there is a screaming SW jet on the Euro that would keep the mid levels warmish for eastern sections- that needs to be watched. Gonna need rates even at night esp east of the fall line. GFS solution looks colder and does bring surface temps to freezing towards the end of the event, but it shuts off the precip quicker. Still lots to work out,

Sure can, but regardless of type, this thing looks to make travel a nightmare on the 95 corridor. I know many of you have traveled on that day and know just how bad it is even in good weather. Really glad to be staying home and hope for safe travels for all.

I would think the 6z gfs really helped bump the confidence level. But as you said, lots can change.

Seems more likely to be a grass accumulator than road stickage, at this point. But, even wet roads with heavy periods of non-sticking snow can impact flow and congestion on 95.

Seems more likely to be a grass accumulator than road stickage, at this point. But, even wet roads with heavy periods of non-sticking snow can impact flow and congestion on 95.

Lots of "ifs", but if the precip falls at the forecast rate with temps 32-33F at this time of year, it will accumulate on the roads as well. 

Archived