Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
November 2014 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

I'll mention this year since this is as 24-48 hour out event:

GFS-13km has a nice solution for tomorrow evening with a respectable amount of precip.  850 temps are well below freezing but surface temps are still above freezing.  With the cold advection, I'd guess a pretty steep lapse rate in the low-levels which would suggest a low freezing height.  Several hours of snow melting on contact?  

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS-13km has a nice solution for tomorrow evening with a respectable amount of precip.  850 temps are well below freezing but surface temps are still above freezing.  With the cold advection, I'd guess a pretty steep lapse rate in the low-levels which would suggest a low freezing height.  Several hours of snow melting on contact?  

Good enough for me...

GFS-13km has a nice solution for tomorrow evening with a respectable amount of precip. 850 temps are well below freezing but surface temps are still above freezing. With the cold advection, I'd guess a pretty steep lapse rate in the low-levels which would suggest a low freezing height. Several hours of snow melting on contact?

12z RGEM lays down .10 - .15 through the metros and burbs. 4pm to 10pm timeframe thurs. Best panel is 4pm-7pm. Interesting.

ETA: euro is a paltry .05

12z RGEM lays down .10 - .15 through the metros and burbs. 4pm to 10pm timeframe thurs. Best panel is 4pm-7pm. Interesting.

ETA: euro is a paltry .05

RGEM precip type says rain, but is pretty hefty on amounts relative to the other guidance.  

GFS and NAM soundings are cold enough for snow, but pretty dry in the boundary layer.  #Virgafest2014

RGEM precip type says rain, but is pretty hefty on amounts relative to the other guidance.

GFS and NAM soundings are cold enough for snow, but pretty dry in the boundary layer. #Virgafest2014

The only smart play is to blend the wettest model with the coldest model. They teach that in Weenie 101. Most of us got an A in that class.

Snips from LWX...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...CORRECTED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
402 AM EST THU NOV 13 2014

.(snip)
BANDING PRECIP EXPECTED IN BETWEEN THE UPR AND SFC FEATURES THIS
EVENING...MAINLY OVER NRN PORTIONS OF THE LWX CWA. LOCAL WRFS DEPICT
BANDS EAST FROM THE BLUE RIDGE AFTER 20Z...LINGERING OVER BALTIMORE
UNTIL 03 TO 05Z. CONTINUED COLD AIR ADVECTION AND DIURNAL COOLING
COMBINE FOR CHANGE OVER TO SNOW FOR MOST OF THE AREA. LATER SHIFTS
WILL NEED TO MONITOR INTENSITY OF THE BANDS...AS ANYTHING
APPROACHING MODERATE COULD RESULT IN A BURST OF SNOW OVER A NARROW
AREA. THIS IS QUITE EARLY IN THE SEASON AND THE GROUND IS WARM SO
ANY ACCUM (CURRENTLY ONE TO A FEW TENTHS INCH STORM TOTAL) WOULD BE
ON GRASSY SURFACES.

IN THE ALLEGHENIES...SNOW ONSET LATE THIS MORNING WITH FIRST BANDS.
WLY FLOW WILL PRODUCE UPSLOPE...BUT MOST OF THE GREAT LAKES FETCH IS
NORTH OF THE MASON-DIXON. TOTAL ACCUMULATION THROUGH TONIGHT IS ONE
TO TWO INCHES WEST OF THE ALLEGHENY FRONT.

Surface temps are going to be above freezing this evening, but the freezing level is pretty low and the dew points are at or below zero at all levels.  Certainly should be ok for many of us to at least see some snowflakes.  

can't ask for much more this time of year

19F for the low according to local Wxbug station.  It's wonderfully cold out, but I don't know....

*Edit

KOKV shows 32F for the low, which is absurd.  I don't know about 19F being accurate, especially by the same thermometer that showed a low of 37F the other morning when I was using a hammer and chisel to remove ice from all over our cars, but I sure as heck don't believe it's 32F.

19F for the low according to local Wxbug station.  It's wonderfully cold out, but I don't know....

*Edit

KOKV shows 32F for the low, which is absurd.  I don't know about 19F being accurate, especially by the same thermometer that showed a low of 37F the other morning when I was using a hammer and chisel to remove ice from all over our cars, but I sure as heck don't believe it's 32F.

All of the wunderground stations near you were upper 20s to around 30.

Quite chilly out there when the breeze picks up.

Archived