Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
October Discussion

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All joking aside..someone has been waiting almost 42 years for a snowfall on Nov 2nd.. The Oct 28th , 2011 snowbomb delivered a white Nov 2..but nothing fell from the sky. It's typically a warm period in early Nov..so hopefully this all actually shakes out

thats right is your birthday, hope it pans out

This was Oct . 31 , 2011. They had cancelled Helloween due to trees and wires down. It was day 3.5 of 8 with no power.. So the kids in the hood put on their costumes at like noon and went trick or treating to each other's houses.. Or at least the ones that didn't have trees/ power lines on them. Look at all the leaves still on the trees that year.. The best part is the massive snow bank behind them on Helloween day. Priceless and certainly once in a lifetime

2115F3B6-0EF8-430D-812F-6C62A9AEF9E3_zps

They moved the trick or treating in ORH that year to November 6th which was the next Friday night. We still had pretty good snow pack even during that.

The 17 inches we got quickly compacted/melted down to about 6" after 3 days but it took another 5 days or so to get rid of that after that point.

They moved the trick or treating in ORH that year to November 6th which was the next Friday night. We still had pretty good snow pack even during that.

The 17 inches we got quickly compacted/melted down to about 6" after 3 days but it took another 5 days or so to get rid of that after that point.

Yeah even though the days were getting up into the 40's..that snow..at least in Ct had so much water content it hung around for quite some time..especially with the low sun angle..even though the nights by that point were staying above freezing on the hilltops.. I recall there was an inversion and the valleys were radiating and refreezing

10 inches of Cement with Telephone Poles Snapped in Southington, CT, and Thousands of Trees destroyed/downed. Out of School for a Week!! 80% Plus of the town out of power. Started out Right From the Beginning As SNOW(and it was forecast to start as Rain, and stay Rain for the whole afternoon, right up to the minute before it started lol). And here is the Amazing Part: IT STUCK TO EVERYTHING, EVEN THE ROADS RIGHT FROM THE FIRST FLAKE!! Amazing set up. The warmth of the ground, and time of the year did not make any difference, despite what everybody was saying. JB said it was going to Stick, and it DID. He nailed that one from the start.

Personally, I thought NBC 30 did a Tremendous Job broadcasting as the Storm moved in, and it became clear that it was going to be A SNOW EVENT...from the start in alot of places,which surprised I think Everybody.

Ryan, your enthusiasm/excitement on air was Fabulous in my opinion. Love seeing the on air METS get excited when a truly extraordinary event unfolds for SNE. Your expertise and knowledge was really appreciated during that afternoon and evening. I couldn't stop watching your updates :-).

This was Oct . 31 , 2011. They had cancelled Helloween due to trees and wires down. It was day 3.5 of 8 with no power.. So the kids in the hood put on their costumes at like noon and went trick or treating to each other's houses.. Or at least the ones that didn't have trees/ power lines on them. Look at all the leaves still on the trees that year.. The best part is the massive snow bank behind them on Helloween day. Priceless and certainly once in a lifetime 2115F3B6-0EF8-430D-812F-6C62A9AEF9E3_zps

Pretty diverse looking hood you got there....both boys and girls

I give kudos to Ryan in the October 2011 storm...I remember several of us in here were stunned by Friday night that the TV mets were still really gunshy on the snow potiential. But he was pretty much gung ho from 60 hours in. The only TV met in the area that was getting the word out that early.

It was hard to believe what was being shown on the models given how overwhelmingly strong climo is against that type of storm in late October, but at some point, you had to ditch climo. I remember hearing arguments from mets that climo favored much lower totals....which would have been fine 4-5 days out....but this was like 24-36 hours out. I mean the Euro was showing like -5C at 925mb. It's not going to rain or be a sloppy mix on those profiles...even to the valley floor.

I give kudos to Ryan in the October 2011 storm...I remember several of us in here were stunned by Friday night that the TV mets were still really gunshy on the snow potiential. But he was pretty much gung ho from 60 hours in. The only TV met in the area that was getting the word out that early.

It was hard to believe what was being shown on the models given how overwhelmingly strong climo is against that type of storm in late October, but at some point, you had to ditch climo. I remember hearing arguments from mets that climo favored much lower totals....which would have been fine 4-5 days out....but this was like 24-36 hours out. I mean the Euro was showing like -5C at 925mb. It's not going to rain or be a sloppy mix on those profiles...even to the valley floor.

At that point 36 hours out you had to ignore climb and go with the models. I don't remember what we had Thursday night but by Friday mid morning we had 6-12 for all of inland CT even for the valley.

What a storm!!

Personally, I thought NBC 30 did a Tremendous Job broadcasting as the Storm moved in, and it became clear that it was going to be A SNOW EVENT...from the start in alot of places,which surprised I think Everybody.

Ryan, your enthusiasm/excitement on air was Fabulous in my opinion. Love seeing the on air METS get excited when a truly extraordinary event unfolds for SNE. Your expertise and knowledge was really appreciated during that afternoon and evening. I couldn't stop watching your updates :-).

Thanks man I appreciate it. It was hard to contain the adrenaline during that one.

Thanks man I appreciate it. It was hard to contain the adrenaline during that one.

You are very Welcome! I can imagine how difficult it must be to try and stay as Professional as you can, when you just feel like Jumping up and down with Enthusiasm! But as I mentioned, it's very Refreshing to see a MET on T.V.(that's not a Hypster) get Excited about a Major Event. Shows the love of the job which is great imo.

At that point 36 hours out you had to ignore climb and go with the models. I don't remember what we had Thursday night but by Friday mid morning we had 6-12 for all of inland CT even for the valley.

What a storm!!

Thursday night I think you were already pretty high on potential...at least for the hills around the area...but were still pondering whether HFD on the valley floor was going to get smoked or not.

There were mets on Friday night that were still going 2-4/3-6 for ORH.

Archived