• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

Yeah the moisture robbed may have something to do with it, but radar is lit up down in NW CT and the Berks..they are playing catch up. It's also important not to overstate the upslope component too. Sure we'll have SE winds, but you really want unimpeded flow into the mtns to get it...not some conv blob to the southeast robbing moisture.  My approach to these events are usually just to try and see if models show a pattern, and then what makes sense in your head based on past experience. My experience is that we normally have a two QPF max area...one with a separate conv/deformation/upslope area and then one near the WF/cstlfront area where low level forcing is maximized. I never take the approach of running away with model QPF totals verbatim...but analyzing all the meso models we have, can give an idea. It won't always be right though.

The SE upslope is a good point...that big convection definitely had to hurt that to some extent.  I'm not up north obviously, but pretty surprised that Mansfield has been ripping SE winds sustained 30s, gusting into the 50s (that's really sort of unusual to get that sort of SE jet there in August) enough to shut down any summer lift operations, and yet not really getting anything more than 0.01-0.02" per hour --RN with the amount of moisture available.  Usually something like that with those wind speeds should be slamming moisture into the east slopes, especially with the high PWATS. 

I guess my thing with the two QPF maxes, was I just kept looking for that eastern NY maximum (I know Blizz kept referring to it as a weenie looking band, lol) that the models continued to show, even at 00z models last night.  Its definitely not the same as winter-time synoptics, but the same idea is probably in play where convection robs further NW.

Look at the 00z GGEM/NAM/GFS (I didn't look at the most reliable ECM, lol) and they were wrong on a pretty short range forecast.  This is ending at 2pm and won't be close in the Adirondacks.

f18.gif

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, the models kind of missed eastern NY. Although I think we may see ern NY and VT precip blossom perhaps as the mesos show and the s/w sharpens up the trough. Might even have some cells train a bit this aftn.

Yeah I think VT will do fine, I was just shocked at NY. If it were a winter storm I definitely would've freaked out up there this morning in Stowe lol, but they will get that banding over the Berks as it lifts north.

Last night would've been one of those 6-12" forecast to be on the ground at daybreak, heavy at times, only to wake up to flurries and 1.5", lol. But it'll come today.

Archived