Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
August 2014 General Discussion

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going on 24 consecutive days at CLE without a positive temperature departure. The last above normal day was July 22, when it was 1 degree above normal. From July 15 through August 15, July 22 was the only above normal day at a paltry degree above they norm. Just an incredible stretch of cool weather.

DTW snuck out a positive on August 2nd, so our consecutive streak isnt as impressive...however...since July 15th.....or 33 days (and likely 34 today), DTW has had just TWO above normal days (July 22 & Aug 2). Anyway you slice it...and impressive stretch.'=

DETROIT

Since July 15th...

Above Normal...2 days

Exactly Normal..3 days

Below Normal..28 days

Since July 1st

Above Normal...7 days

Exactly Normal..5 days

Below Normal..35 days

Of course...who can forget our historic winter? The snow was probably a bigger story...but the cold....38 of the 90 days were -10F departures OR COLDER. Obviously, winter is prone to much greater temp departures (both + and -) than summer. In the end, 62 days were below normal, 24 above normal, and 4 exactly normal.

2014 CALENDAR YEAR....January 1st - August 16th....

Above Normal....71 days

Exactly Normal...13 days

Below Normal...144 days

Looks like we may get another crack at 90 degrees in the extended, although considering what happened last time and over the course of the summer, I'd like this to be showing 95+ to have a lot of confidence.

MEX (and its parent the GFS) have been awful in the medium range...but, all guidance points to some good heat getting in here. I'd be shocked if we don't rip off at least 2-3 days of 90º+...possibly more.

MEX (and its parent the GFS) have been awful in the medium range...but, all guidance points to some good heat getting in here. I'd be shocked if we don't rip off at least 2-3 days of 90º+...possibly more.

Would be nice to get on the board.  Chad's thermometer has a 4-0 lead on the airport.  :(

Would be nice to get on the board.  Chad's thermometer has a 4-0 lead on the airport.  :(

Would've been nicer to go the distance with the shutout...but to each his own. ;)

And lol at your buddy's temps. I guess when you have 90's in every 7-day forecast since April, you better make sure you verify a few. He's a clown.

I'd play the under on this.

Looking at the Euro 850mb maps I thought we might have an outside shot at a 90 later this week or next weekend in Detroit, but the MEX doesn't even tease one 90 for Detroit. Looks to be littered with convection and convective debris.

Looking at the Euro 850mb maps I thought we might have an outside shot at a 90 later this week or next weekend in Detroit, but the MEX doesn't even tease one 90 for Detroit. Looks to be littered with convection and convective debris.

I still think the potential is there for at least one 90*F, as the upper level ridge folds eastward...

This sounds familiar

FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY...OPERATIONAL MODELS INDICATE THE HEAT AND
HUMIDITY WILL BE OVER THE CWA FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY WITH THE
POTENTIAL FOR ANOTHER MCS FRIDAY NIGHT. THIS TO BE FOLLOWED BY A
STRONG COLD FRONT BY SUNDAY WITH MORE THUNDERSTORMS. A SHARP TROUGH
THEN DIVES INTO THE MIDWEST DURING THE LAST WEEK OF AUGUST WITH
BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES.

-DVN

Sun has arrived here.  Even with that, the NE winds will make sure temps top out no greater than about 70F.

70° it was! 

Took a few pics of the scud clouds and cirrus down by the state line a little while ago.

post-7389-0-98597500-1408316577_thumb.jp

post-7389-0-03298500-1408316589_thumb.jp

7:50am tee time tomorrow.

Looks absolutely perfect. No wind and soft greens

Yeah, little to no wind is good. Especially where I play in league on Mondays. Course has been in top notch shape with this tame summer. Firmer fairways would be nice, but beggars...

Would've been nicer to go the distance with the shutout...but to each his own. ;)

And lol at your buddy's temps. I guess when you have 90's in every 7-day forecast since April, you better make sure you verify a few. He's a clown.

One of the local stations had a graphic up today that it has been 330+ days since the last 90 at IND. Looks impressive when stated that way.

One of the local stations had a graphic up today that it has been 330+ days since the last 90 at IND. Looks impressive when stated that way.

Indeed. Though, nothing will probably ever top the 651 days in-between 90º temps at IND..from 8/24/2003 to 6/5/2005.

Dayton is currently still on target for the earliest final 90-degree day ever as of today. Unless temperatures luckily overachieve enough for another chance at 90 at least one of the days later this week, there are great concerns that the warmup by next weekend won't really cut it. We'll have to watch this closely through the end of next weekend.

Top 5 Earliest Last 90-degree Days on Record:
1. June 23, 2014 (as of August 17, 2014)
2. July 8, 1971 (record)
3. July 13, 1981
4. July 26, 1967
5. July 28, 1921

day.pdf

Pretty nice day here for August.  Maybe a little warm/humid for some with temps in the mid 80s and dews in the mid 60s.  All in all a pretty respectable day for the dog days of summer. 

The sky was kind of hazy again this afternoon from what I'm assuming is more smoke from somewhere.  Made for another decent sunset, although not as spectacular as some of the ones we had a few weeks back.

Shot this pic of the windmill here on the south side of town.

1zwkbhk.jpg

Archived