Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
August 2014 General Discussion

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KOZW peaked at 87 for the summer, 87 was the highest at KLAN too.

12 times for KYIP!

KYIP is often the warmest location in the state, probably poor siting of the weather sensors.

I know it's been checked out multiple times for accuracy so it's gotta be some localized thing. Funny that it's right next to the always-cold KARB

I know it's been checked out multiple times for accuracy so it's gotta be some localized thing. Funny that it's right next to the always-cold KARB

Yeah as much as a few people like to gripe about KYIP it has been checked and corrected from previous years. Considering it is one of the furthest south locations in the area besides Lenawee or Monroe counties, it shouldn't be surprising that it is warmer.

KOZW peaked at 87 for the summer, 87 was the highest at KLAN too.

12 times for KYIP!

KYIP is often the warmest location in the state, probably poor siting of the weather sensors.

Somethings up with YIP, has been for several years. It never used to be that way. Guarentee it has to do with sensor placement. If we want to call YIP legit, then so is ARB lol

DTW eeked out an intra-hour 90F today, so this is the 3rd of the season. Today was by far the most oppressive day of the season, with heat indexes maxing out at 96F. I dont think we had seen a heat index higher than 92F all year.

Storm made for a WICKED sky here. Lot of wind, no hail, heavy rain. Didnt measure yet.

4080-800.jpg

Yeah as much as a few people like to gripe about KYIP it has been checked and corrected from previous years. Considering it is one of the furthest south locations in the area besides Lenawee or Monroe counties, it shouldn't be surprising that it is warmer.

Whats funny is that I have looked at old data for YIP, and that was not the case. The outrageous disparity between YIP and everywhere else in SE MI did not start until 2011. It runs warmer than Lenawee/Monroe counties. And I notice DTX doesnt even include YIP on their temp/precip table anymore (that started this year). Its not that there is something wrong with the sensor, its just probably its location. Not representative of the area. Same with the cold lows at ARB, theres nothing wrong with the sensor, its just not a great representation of the area.

90F days in 2014 - YIP stands out like a sore thumb lol.

north of Detroit

Oakland co:

Pontiac- 0

Livingston co:

Howell- 0

Macomb co:

Mt Clemens- 1

Genessee co

Flint- 1

Saginaw co

Saginaw- 1

south of Detroit...

Lenawee co

Adrian- 2

Monroe co

Monroe- 2

Wayne co

Dearborn- 0 (not counting today)

Grosse Pt- 2 (not counting today)

Detroit Metro- 3

Detroit City- 5

Washtenaw co

Ann Arbor UofM- 0 (not counting today)

YIP- 13

Whats funny is that I have looked at old data for YIP, and that was not the case. It very often runs warmer than Lenawee/Monroe counties. And I notice DTX doesnt even include YIP on their temp/precip table anymore (that started this year). Its not that there is something wrong with the sensor, its just probably its location. Not representative of the area. Same with the cold lows at ARB, theres nothing wrong with the sensor, its just not a great representation of the area.

What are the lows like at YIP?  Typically warmer or colder than surrounding areas?

What are the lows like at YIP?  Typically warmer or colder than surrounding areas?

Generally on par with the rest of the area. See my above post for an edit. I have no idea why they cool down at night to match everyone else but during the day they skyrocket up past everyone.

Average Annual Maximum...YIP vs DTW

2008- 57.9F vs 58.5F

2009- 57.7F vs 58.2F

2010- 60.7F vs 60.4F

2011- 60.7F vs 59.5F

2012- 65.6F vs 63.2F

2013- 60.6F vs 58.3F

2014- 60.3F* vs 57.6F

*thru 8/25

Average Annual Minimum YIP vs DTW

2008- 37.3F -- 40.8F

2009- 37.4F -- 40.5F

2010- 40.9F -- 43.4F

2011- 41.1F -- 42.4F

2012- 43.3F -- 44.5F

2013- 41.0F -- 41.4F

2014- 38.8F* -- 39.0F*

*thru 8/25

So from 2008-2010, YIP ran 2-3F colder than DTW for lows, but 2011-now YIP only runs from generally 0-1F colder.

However...the high temps...from 2008-09 YIP ran 0-1F COOLER than DTW, then in 2010-11 it was slightly WARMER, and since 2012 its been 2-3F WARMER than DTW.

I found the location of the sensor group at YIP, it is about 200 yards east of the intersection with runways 5R and 32. Basically right in the middle of the airport and well away from any sort of concrete or heat sources. Considering the equipment isn't at issue here and the location isn't either you have to chalk it up as just being a warm spot.

I found the location of the sensor group at YIP, it is about 200 yards east of the intersection with runways 5R and 32. Basically right in the middle of the airport and well away from any sort of concrete or heat sources. Considering the equipment isn't at issue here and the location isn't either you have to chalk it up as just being a warm spot.

I heard Tropical recently moved there, thought it would enhance his chances of eclipsing 90F(not by much, mind you, but in the Great Lakes if you're a heat lover you take what you can get lol).

Another overachiever. Topped out at 91, tying the warmest temperature of this year with June 17th-18th. The 5th 90-degree day of this year and likely to be the last one for the rest of the year, regardless of how the rest of the final week of August into next month goes. The legend about years with 90s in June, none in July, only one in August, and none in September finally seems to be over with. 

just curious...where is the sensor at DTW. Ive never known where it was lol

just curious...where is the sensor at DTW. Ive never known where it was lol

We have multiple sensors being that it is a large airport. I believe the temperature sensor is on the sensor cluster on northeast end of the field, south of the executive terminal.

Whats funny is that I have looked at old data for YIP, and that was not the case. The outrageous disparity between YIP and everywhere else in SE MI did not start until 2011. It runs warmer than Lenawee/Monroe counties. And I notice DTX doesnt even include YIP on their temp/precip table anymore (that started this year). Its not that there is something wrong with the sensor, its just probably its location. Not representative of the area. Same with the cold lows at ARB, theres nothing wrong with the sensor, its just not a great representation of the area.

90F days in 2014 - YIP stands out like a sore thumb lol.

Livingston co:

Howell- 0

Washtenaw co

Ann Arbor UofM- 0 (not counting today)

YIP- 13

Ypsi temperature readings act like a cheap backyard thermometer in the sun. Their average high is only 2F more than DTW, so its not that out of control. It might be sunny days with little wind that taints the readings. My backyard thermometer usually reads about 2 degrees high on sunny, windless days.

Windy days mix the warm air out of the thermometer and alleviate the problem.

Ypsi temperature readings act like a cheap backyard thermometer in the sun. Their average high is only 2F more than DTW, so its not that out of control. It might be sunny days with little wind that taints the readings. My backyard thermometer usually reads about 2 degrees high on sunny, windless days.

Windy days mix the warm air out of the thermometer and alleviate the problem.

Today it was pretty windy.

At work we're required to send our thermometers out for calibration/certification every year.  So we have different thermometers from year to year as they are sort of in a rotation.  I'm wondering if the NWS does something similar, and if that's the case multiple thermometers/sensors running warmer than other areas consistently would indicate that the area really is warmer than other locations.  I'm sure all AWOS stations are required to be aspirated like the ASOS ones. 

Another overachiever. Topped out at 91, tying the warmest temperature of this year with June 17th-18th. The 5th 90-degree day of this year and likely to be the last one for the rest of the year, regardless of how the rest of the final week of August into next month goes. The legend about years with 90s in June, none in July, only one in August, and none in September finally seems to be over with. 

Just wondering, is that based on anything because a check of climo shows that Dayton is no stranger to having 90s in September and the last 90 degree reading of the year has come in September many times.

cool morning... here are some of the lows.  only 41 at my house.

2 SE ROSCOMMON                 33 F     
1 E CLEAR LAKE STATE PARK      33 F     
3 WSW ENGADINE                 36 F     
1 WNW REXTON                   36 F     
3 SSW INDIAN RIVER             36 F     
1 SSW KALKASKA                 36 F     
2 E CADILLAC                   37 F     
4 N FREDERIC                   37 F     
PELLSTON RGNL AIRPORT OF EMMET 38 F     
CADILLAC                       38 F     
ROSCOMMON COUNTY AIRPORT       38 F     
GRAYLING                       39 F