Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
August 2014 General Discussion

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great video of a tornado this evening in Wellington County, Ontario. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152461632384079&fref=nf

At least two tornadoes have been reported today:

Brief tornado near Stratford, Perth County.

Erin, Wellington County.

EC issued a tornado warning for Simcoe County as a strong couplet made landfall off Georgian Bay southwest of Midland, but I haven't seen any reports of tornado.

what station are you using? Does howell ha e records to 120 years?

I use Howell for my own official records, but generally Lansing KLAN for 120 year comparisons. 

Lansing & Flint are roughly the same distance from me, but Lansing is just upstream and usually has closer temps and precip.

Howell airport is actually slightly colder YTD than Lansing, but even Lansing hasn't hit 90.

post-7333-0-28632300-1408594665_thumb.jp

NWS ended up verifying a tornado yesterday in Northern Macomb County, ef-0

0204 PM TORNADO 5 WSW RICHMOND 42.78N 82.83W
08/20/2014 MACOMB MI LAW ENFORCEMENT

A BRIEF EF0 TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN AROUND 204 PM ON PLACE
ROAD BETWEEN 29 MILE AND 30 MILE ROAD IN LENOX TOWNSHIP.
PATH LENGTH WAS ESTIMATED TO BE 0.25 MILES WITH A PATH
WIDTH OF 100 YARDS. WIND SPEEDS WERE ESTIMATED TO BE 75
MPH. FIRE OFFICIALS REPORTED SEVERAL TRAILERS BEING BLOWN
OVER AS WELL AS A ROOF TO A GARAGE BEING TORN OFF.

Only made it up to 77F today with the heavy showery rains we had around midday.  Yesterday somehow made an intra hour 81F despite the highest hourly observation being 77 I believe.  Still, this heat wave hasn't been much lately, and it looks like the lake breeze will be a factor tomorrow and Saturday.  Sunday and Monday will be our best shots at 90F, and not so sure the breeze will save us on those days.

Temperatures only topped out at 79 degrees thanks to the decaying MCS. Likely thanks to what happened today, both NWS and Weather.com have already thrown in the towel on the 90-degree highs as of this morning. Ironically, the years in Dayton that have had 90-degree days in June while none in July (1950, 1963, 2009) had only one 90-degree day in August followed by none in September for each of those years. There are now great concerns that this year will join that list, making the 4th 90-degree day of 2014 unexpectedly reached back on Tuesday the straw that broke the camel's back; unless the temperature on at least one of the upcoming days through early next week overachieve enough.

Picked up 0.11" more early this evening from some decaying showers.  Total up to 0.31" for the day now.  That should be enough to green the grass back up some.

Was hoping to get a lightning op tonight, but can't buy one around here the last month.  Hope we can get a few good ops before storm season shuts down for the year.

90 degrees in the forecast again for tomorrow.  Considerable debris cloudiness will likely hack off several degrees again, so 80 may be more like it.

lol @ storms blowing up 30 miles east of here tonight.  Classic stuff.  Storms blowing up over northeast IL again as well.  NE IL won't be denied in any season.

lol Cyclone.

Dewpoint at 74° as of 12:28am. I'm outside right now and at the edge of a cell to my northwest.

Hearing constant deep rumbling. I love that "battlefield rumble"

No rain at all here right now. I see what seems to be some pockets of the night sky above me. But could be an illusion with lower level clouds moving in. Hard to tell.

I just looked on radar and storms are popping up to the south of it so should see some action soon

Best atmosphere.

New forecast for IND...brutal for 90 degree lovers.

Fri:  88

Sat:  89

Sun:  88

Mon:  89

Tue:  88

I was so busy storm spotting, placing spotters, etc. yesterday that I didn't notice this. My point also looks the same. 90 is just a tough nut to crack this summer.

grass hasn't stopped being lush green since May

I was out mowing this morning, but had to stop because i could hardly breath.  Worst ragweed season ever.    Dew point was 72F last time i looked. 

Lot of time to spend inside the next 5 days with allergies/heat/humidity.  Might as well be subzero high temps.   Time of the year i can't wait for fall to start.

Archived